CBS Evening News Updates Studio, Some Graphics

Geoffrey

Over the last few weeks, CBS has been making some refreshes to its main studio used for the Evening News.

I think it started with two monitors placed on either side of the world map in the background. They tend to display the same story-related image at the start of the broadcast as the camera zooms in to Scott Pelley and cuts them out of view. For the rest of the broadcast, they display the CBS eye. (It's possible they use it again later in the broadcast but it's definitely not used heavily.) They also later lightened the walls the monitors are on as well as replaced the "CBS News" banner above to an all-blue design (instead of blue and red).

They then updated the "coming up" graphics, followed by matching headline graphics used at the very start of the broadcast a few weeks later. At the end of the open, they've been using a shot from the newsroom looking toward the studio (it's a view of the set from the back), nearly a 180 from the old open shot position.

Tonight I noticed that the area behind the world map has been made several shades of blue. It had been mostly black with a bunch of monitors there.

The actual open is still the same as are the lower-thirds but I wonder if those are next?

UPDATE: Some screenshots...

The set as seen on June 17th:

r8PKfKB.jpg

August 3rd with the monitors on either side of the map:

S3NrtxH.jpg

August 20th:

O6g9WEY.jpg

k3jbJiK.jpg

1VWmvvs.jpg

Ec7o0jN.jpg

August 24th (tonight):

zGuVIZ1.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're long overdue for a new set and the graphics have always looked awful and very dated. It's like they went to the 90s with the graphics. Haven't really seen the new elements, but I hope it's better than what they have now.

The set looks a light lighter, warmer, and friendlier with the updates. As for the rundown and headline graphics, I love them. It puts focus, I think, on the video footage playing. That big globe on the side always bugged me. They really need to change the intro; Its been the same since 2011, and the same basic idea since 2009, just looks old and overused. Heck, they looked that way when they were new. I'm still iffy on the opening camera shot from behind, I liked the side angle, but it'll grow on me. Because they switched the opening shot, they have to throw in a graphic for the date, which looks bad IMO, and it bugs me ALOT. Find a way to incorporate it into the sequence like before where it was visible on the desk during the open OR don't include it at all and just show the date in the very first "CBS EVENING NEWS" graphic. One thing I really like, and it's very small, is the timer that runs at the bottom of the headline rundown. It's just one of those small things, but I really like it. It's new.

I feel like a new intro theme and sequence is needed, too, so I made a mock open. One that I feel sounds and looks best. I like the idea of using cityscapes and landmarks in an open. The intro is a mix of the 1987 open and part of the 2011 close.

I'd like to know what you guys think; Comment on the vid or on here.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynVHATrRhWs&list=UURkHr7nyDBcM0O66OMR9Pfw

Compared to many other networks, CBS doesn't appear to be one that cares a whole lot about cosmetics.

It has always bothered me that as much as they've standardized in recent years and made things look "similar" to each other, they still haven't had a cohesive branding and design strategy pretty much since the first Katie Couric redesign. The CBS This Morning look was a step in the right direction, but then the new O&O look went in another, and then these new-ish Evening News elements somewhat match This Morning, but not exactly.

This looks like they're trying to CBS This Morning-ify the Evening News set without completely renovating it or booting it onto a temp set.

They're long overdue for a new set and the graphics have always looked awful and very dated. It's like they went to the 90s with the graphics. Haven't really seen the new elements, but I hope it's better than what they have now.

no it's worse, its 90s graphics with an 80s typeface. I liked the set the way it was, it had a retro look to other sets CBS News used.

They do need to improve the graphics.

Remember what CBS's sports graphics looked like in 2005 several years after everyone else moved into a more modern look? CBS was still stuck in the 90s.

Same for the network promos. CBS seems to always have pretty dated-looking graphics on those. Maybe they've gotten better lately, but in the late 2000s, they were still using stuff that looked like it was from the 90s.

CBS has always been very sluggish with graphics modernization. In some ways, it's good because it's not super-flashy and annoying, but I'd wish they'd at least keep things a *little* more modern

Remember what CBS's sports graphics looked like in 2005 several years after everyone else moved into a more modern look? CBS was still stuck in the 90s.

True. It seems like CBS likes to hold on to graphics from the previous decade while making very minor changes to them up until the point of no return. They are certainly the most conservative network when it comes to graphics. I often don't know what to think of their graphics packages, whether it's CBS News or Sports. They seem to always have a knack for the ugly. For example, the original graphics the Evening News had when Couric began in '06. IMO those were an abomination. But we have to remember that CBS is also the most "traditional" of the networks, so flashy graphics aren't to be expected and in 2006 they tried and failed. Flashy is more of an ABC kind of thing.

Same for the network promos. CBS seems to always have pretty dated-looking graphics on those. Maybe they've gotten better lately, but in the late 2000s, they were still using stuff that looked like it was from the 90s.

CBS has always been very sluggish with graphics modernization. In some ways, it's good because it's not super-flashy and annoying, but I'd wish they'd at least keep things a *little* more modern

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I can only think of a handful of times where CBS had graphics that were relatively modern for their time and with the possible exception of when their 1991-96 look debuted for CBS News; all of those were in the sports department (1981-86 during the time Terry O'Neil ran things; which was light years beyond what CBS had used before; 1992-95 and around 2006).

The set's not bad, but Scott Pelley? I don't have anything against the guy, but he seems like a local anchorman. Rather, Brinkley, Cronkite, Jennings, etc. didn't seem like local guys.

Maybe it was because they weren't as polished? Pelley is too polished and fakey maybe?

Interesting how, for at least the least year or so, the CBS Evening News employs very limited use of its lower-thirds. They're pretty much only used to identify the correspondents. Anyone else who speaks in a story is identified verbally by the reporter and NOT by lower-third banner.

Meanwhile the other extreme is over on ABC World News, where the lower-third is pretty much permanent, kind of like cable news and the morning shows.

Regarding the new graphics, I'm actually not a fan of the clock/time code element. Just seems kind of "local" and gimmicky to me.

And I really like the blue background. I never liked the black/dark look.

The set's not bad, but Scott Pelley? I don't have anything against the guy, but he seems like a local anchorman. Rather, Brinkley, Cronkite, Jennings, etc. didn't seem like local guys.

Maybe it was because they weren't as polished? Pelley is too polished and fakey maybe?

I don't agree. He's less polished, actually - heck, this is his first anchoring job - but that actually works for him. CBS News ahs some problems but it's not him.

I don't care for Pelley's anchoring style. Hee reeaadddsss verrryyy slooooooowww in a monotone and he kinda bores you. But his style fits CBS and their demo perfectly. Heck, CBS' graphics being ten years behind their time match their demo...

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I can only think of a handful of times where CBS had graphics that were relatively modern for their time and with the possible exception of when their 1991-96 look debuted for CBS News; all of those were in the sports department (1981-86 during the time Terry O'Neil ran things; which was light years beyond what CBS had used before; 1992-95 and around 2006).

I don't think CBS gets enough credit for the 2000-2006 graphics. That was such a majestic open. That set of graphics wasn't anything too eye-popping or cutting edge, but I thought it looked pretty nice.

I don't care for Pelley's anchoring style. Hee reeaadddsss verrryyy slooooooowww in a monotone and he kinda bores you. But his style fits CBS and their demo perfectly. Heck, CBS' graphics being ten years behind their time match their demo...

I completely agree. I'm not a fan of Scott Pelley, but he fits CBS's "style" perfectly.

Ugh, that headline graphic...

:puke:

Seriously, I hope that doesn't stick around. It is very cheap looking, looks like it was thrown together in 5 minutes by someone who just learned Photoshop. The countdown clock is stupid too.

I like the rest of the updates though.

Interesting how, for at least the least year or so, the CBS Evening News employs very limited use of its lower-thirds. They're pretty much only used to identify the correspondents. Anyone else who speaks in a story is identified verbally by the reporter and NOT by lower-third banner.

Meanwhile the other extreme is over on ABC World News, where the lower-third is pretty much permanent, kind of like cable news and the morning shows.

Yeah, I agree with that. Static lower thirds are used for entertainment like programming, and post Couric, CBS still tends to brand themselves as a serious, I'm not your BFF figure. On top of the lower thirds, I find WNT so disturbingly leaneant spending what I think are hours making tweets pop out in some 3D graphics, flip effects, things bouncing out of nowhere. I don't know how I can take that type of newscast seriously.

Before I get lectured for going OT, CBS does the right thing for the graphics, not too much not too little and yes their old package seemed to be a hodge-podge of multi decade styles, that made it look tacky.

Ugh, that headline graphic...

:puke:

Seriously, I hope that doesn't stick around. It is very cheap looking, looks like it was thrown together in 5 minutes by someone who just learned Photoshop. The countdown clock is stupid too.

I completely disagree. I really think it's an upgrade over what they have now, and I think it looks good aesthetically. Personally, the clock is my favorite part.

But as a network that tries to brand itself and takes great pride in believing that they're the most serious, unbiased, objective network of the broadcast nets, having such a plain, boring, outdated, old look might go along with their belief that they're more about the news rather than fancy looks. It's simply not as important to them I believe. "Fancy graphics and studios are nice, but serious, hard-hitting news is even better and more important. We'll only upgrade that stuff if it's absolutely necessary, not just because we can."

But as a network that tries to brand itself and takes great pride in believing that they're the most serious, unbiased, objective network of the broadcast nets, having such a plain, boring, outdated, old look might go along with their belief that they're more about the news rather than fancy looks. It's simply not as important to them I believe. "Fancy graphics and studios are nice, but serious, hard-hitting news is even better and more important. We'll only upgrade that stuff if it's absolutely necessary, not just because we can."

I've started watching CBS instead of ABC, World News is laughably fluffy compared to what I'm watching now.

Archived