NY Newsradio - 1010 WINS vs. WCBS 880-Which You Prefer & WHY

NYNewsCoverage

Well, 1010 WINS and WCBS 880 are both owned by CBS, and are both available in the NYC metro area. So, this is a simple question: which do you prefer and why? Is it the talent? The music and bumpers? Or the content? I always wanted to know this, so I'd love all of your opinions. (and once again, please state why, and not make this a "list" thread)

I used to listen to WCBS because of its tradition of having better coverage outside of Manhattan or the Five Boros. 880 had a warm, approachable and the anchors rotated every 4 hours, that's if you like a shift/daypart lineup.

880 had the best sounder package that was replaced with a wretched package from WDIV (TV, mind ya) that is old as I am (I believe) and it does not meet the standards that CBS used to stand for - not to use over the top orchestral - never mind TV news music on radio. (Well in my radio production, err digital/podcasts that I do I am using Propulsion - so I guess I sound like a hypocrite.)

WINS was traditionally for the 5 boros because of it being a Class B, and like I said if you don't care about personalities or loyalty - that station is for you.

WBBR great 10/15 years ago. Its a complete shadow of its former self. During the business day, there are more simulcasts of their TV network and on the weekends its just horrible they run all the Sunday talk shows on WBBR. They don't even do Traffic and Weather on the 5's anymore! Not even during "drive time" hours, when only early morning and late afternoon was the last legs of traffic and weather together every 10 minutes.

CBS 88 only because they don't have that stupid typewriter sound playing in the background. Otherwise they're both the same to me. All of CBS' all-news stations are cookie cutter to me but they're well run and I stream them frequently when I want to catch the headlines but don't feel like reading it.

WCBS 880 for me; I used to listen to it all the time when I was little; I can't listen to it much anymore because we're out of the coverage zone in northwest NJ, so whenever we head for eastern NJ, I'll make a piont to switch the stereo. And I like the First News package, thank you.

WCBS 880 because it just seems more warm. 1010 is very, "here's your news, now leave," I just feel like I connect with 880 better. That said, when 880 news is interrupted, I will tune into 1010.

I wish WABC and/or WNBC had a news radio station. (Even though I love 770, it's commentary, not news news).

Now that I have some opinions, I will say that I always loved 880. I will say that I love first news, it's so authoritative and prefect for a radio news station. Also, the traffic and weather together sounder is so identifiable, while 1010 uses some other sounder that I don't really care for. Finally, I seem to connect with the talent, and I literally know the lineups by heart. I even pretty much know the traffic talent and their schedules. I really don't care for 1010 WINS at all. Their way of news reporting is just so cold, and the typewriter sound annoys the heck out of me. Honestly, I thought I would be among the minority that liked 880 and not 1010, but I guess it's the other way around. But obviously, most people seem to prefer 1010 over 880 (otherwise they wouldn't be the #1 radio station in the nation!)

And to add to what BehindNYNews said, I completely agree. WABC and WNBC should have a news radio station. I feel that there isn't much competition at all when it comes to news radio. It's CBS vs. CBS.

And to add to what BehindNYNews said, I completely agree. WABC and WNBC should have a news radio station. I feel that there isn't much competition at all when it comes to news radio. It's CBS vs. CBS.

Nahh, Radio wasn't and isn't business model of both ABC and NBC. They put more focus on the airbrush/lookatme/I'mtooprettyforradio business of TV. ABC never competed against news and that's why the Cumulus stations do talk. For almost 15 years after all news began, they played music before going to all talk in the 80s. It worked out better for ABC, but Disney decided to reck the radio business 8 years ago.

CBS 88 only because they don't have that stupid typewriter sound playing in the background. Otherwise they're both the same to me. All of CBS' all-news stations are cookie cutter to me but they're well run and I stream them frequently when I want to catch the headlines but don't feel like reading it.

Are you old enough to know what a "teletype" was? To me it had a soothing tone, KYW sounds the best out of the fake sound playing.

Are you old enough to know what a "teletype" was? To me it had a soothing tone, KYW sounds the best out of the fake sound playing.

Yes I know what a teletype is. But it's a relic of the past now with the computer. I don't get why they think they should still play it. I guess for nostalgia but it's not something I want to hear because I find it distracting and artificial.

And I don't listen to the news if I want a soothing and relaxing tone... But, if that's what floats your boat...

Yes I know what a teletype is. But it's a relic of the past now with the computer. I don't get why they think they should still play it. I guess for nostalgia but it's not something I want to hear because I find it distracting and artificial.

And I don't listen to the news if I want a soothing and relaxing tone... But, if that's what floats your boat...

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

Speaking of 880..I noticed the reporters now say "Rich Lamb, WCBS Newsradio 880", instead of "Rich Lamb, WCBS 880 News". I believe the top of the hour and bottom of the hour voiceover has changed to reflect this as well.

Also, guess who's back anchoring on 880? Lynda Lopez, who, last I heard, left the station to help her sister, Jennifer. This move also kinda kicks out Brigitte Quinn, who has been filling Lopez's slot since she left last August.

Speaking of 880..I noticed the reporters now say "Rich Lamb, WCBS Newsradio 880", instead of "Rich Lamb, WCBS 880 News". I believe the top of the hour and bottom of the hour voiceover has changed to reflect this as well.

that's kinda like WBZ. I always liked the WCBS 880 News, because I felt Newsradio 88/0 was more of the stations branding.

Also, guess who's back anchoring on 880? Lynda Lopez, who, last I heard, left the station to help her sister, Jennifer. This move also kinda kicks out Brigitte Quinn, who has been filling Lopez's slot since she left last August.

In what capacity was she helping out her sister? I thought LyLo and JLo were distant (not in a bad way, you know.) LyLo had the voice and personality for WINS, not WCBS. She sounded horrible in the overnight block. She didn't do much for me.

Bridgette just came back to 880 last September, she was well known at 880 in the late 80s/mid 90s, she'll become big again over time (if not already.)

Archived