FOX29 launching weekend morning news

PhillyWatch

The latest Broadcasting & Cable had an article on stations expanding weekend morning news and I read WTXF will be jumping into these waters in September.

Let's speculate!

Great opportunity to expand the Good Day brand to viewers who might not catch it during the week, but will they decide to call the weekend blocks "FOX29 Morning News" instead to keep weekday Good Day "special"?

Inside talent or new hires? Could this be where Dawn Timmeny ends up after being bumped from weeknights? Will Jerrick pull a 7 day schedule until his heart bursts through his chest? Will they give it to Keeley for an expanded version of the old 4:25am Keeley Spectacular? (oh how I wish they would...) Alycia Lane perhaps? Co-hosting with Mendte? :awesome:

When will it air? Currently on weekend mornings, there are infomercials from 5 to 8. Both days.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Jerrick cohosts Weekend FOX & Friends so that's a no. You might get a watered down version of Good Day anchored by maybe Dawn and Karen Hepp who will both be displaced when Lucy comes in and Kerry moves to mornings. Keely is an idea as anchor. Aside from the 4:25 show he filled in at the main desk a lot to hilarious results so that could work too.

Steve Keeley and Jennaphr Frederick.

Come on, you know you want to see that anchor pairing.

---

Okay, all said, I'd expect weekends to be "Good Day" branded. That's the name viewers know and trust, not "Fox 29 Morning News". Maybe they'll divide it up like weekdays, but I think they'd be crazy not to use "Good Day" in some way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the July 28 edition of Broadcasting & Cable, the weekend broadcast will be titled "#FOX29 Weekend" :ack:. Awful name aside, they'll apparently be employing 15 "junior reporters" - AKA college students - reporting on what they perceive to be relevant topics in an effort to bring in younger viewers (in addition to an assumed heavy social media presence what with that title and all).

As for expanded interactivity and aiming younger, I like the idea. Hopefully for them any gained viewers might trickle over to weekday mornings (and evenings, and nights)

As for that damn hashtag...

:beat:

According to the July 28 edition of Broadcasting & Cable, the weekend broadcast will be titled "#FOX29 Weekend" :ack:. Awful name aside, they'll apparently be employing 15 "junior reporters" - AKA college students - reporting on what they perceive to be relevant topics in an effort to bring in younger viewers (in addition to an assumed heavy social media presence what with that title and all).

As for expanded interactivity and aiming younger, I like the idea. Hopefully for them any gained viewers might trickle over to weekday mornings (and evenings, and nights)

As for that damn hashtag...

:beat:

From what I hear of this, don'cha think this would exist when Saturday morning cartoons still existed?

Because that's all I read from that.

Any word on who's gonna do weather?

Perhaps Cait? Though she does float around pretty often and end up doing Good Day frequently. They had Sue doing evenings either last Saturday or Sunday (something I've seen before) so it wouldn't surprise me if they have Roth as the "regular" weekend AM weatherperson with room to still float around the schedule as she does now.

Having seasoned WTXF morning weatherwoman Sue Serio pop up on the weekend morning show (at least early on) would probably help give it a little bump too.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an article on TVNewsCheck giving more insight on the new weekend broadcasts which will be called (hashtag)Fox29Weekend. (sigh) A video is in it and features a promo. Also in the article reveals a little tidbit about the new set that will be used for Good Day. It's very interesting.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/marketshare/2014/08/19/fox-to-launch-interactive-social-newscasts-in-philadelphia/

Lauren Johnson Joins 29 - 8/26 - Lauren Johnson, a weekend morning news anchor at Fox-owned WOFL-TV Orlando, will debut September 20 as the new weekend morning co-anchor at Fox-owned Channel 29/WTXF in Philadelphia. She'll be teamed with WTXF veteran Karen Hepp.....

http://www.dcrtv.com/nyc.html

Karen Hepp & Lauren Johnson will anchor the weekend morning newscast

Tuned into Fox 29 News at 10 last night and happened to see Domenica Davis doing weather. So could she be the new Morning meteorologist?

She's been freelancing at different stations this year. She was on WBAL all week for their Preakness coverage then two weekends ago she actually anchored WBAL's weekend newscast. She did pretty well as an anchorwoman and held her own during the four hours each on Saturday and Sunday.

Archived