WLNY cancels "The Couch"

T.L. Hughes

I'm honestly not surprised. The show wasn't too bad, but I think many people didn't even know it existed. I hope they keep the news at 9 though, that newscast has gotten much better. I hope Carolina gets hired by a good station, she's great talent and I could see her going very far. I guess they're going the opposite of KCAL though, and eliminating newscasts instead of adding them.

Carolina would have been a great addition to CBS2 This Morning anchoring beside Chris Wragge. Sad to see her go.

She doesn't come across as anchor material. She's more the hollywood/entertainment reporter type.

Not exactly surprising, while we didn't have numbers, rumors had the ratings in the toilet. I wish they would expand WLNY from just LI to the entire tri-state area.

Who is WLNY available to? Just Long Island? NYC? New Jersey? Connecticut? I always thought that they covered a large part of the tri-state. But then again, when WLNY was independent, were they available to everybody or just Long Island?

If it's just Long Island that they cover, shame on them. All they do is give us NYC, NJ, and Hudson Valley stories, and yes, Long Island stories too, but if WLNY is only available to Long Islander's, why give us news from NYC, NJ, and CT?

I do agree with you, I think WLNY would be a success if they expand to all over the tri-state. Although I did not watch "The Couch", I am a loyal viewer to WLNY's News at 9, since I do live on Long Island, and it's actually very watchable.

This also brings up the question, is KCAL in Los Angeles available to the same area that KCBS is available to?

CBS is keeping WLNY as a "Long Island" station because of a loophole.

When they got 101.9 for WFAN, they went over the TV/radio cap. Problem is, there's really nothing they'd want to divest: they'd be crazy if they got rid of WCBS 880 or 1010 WINS, ditching CBS-FM is a mistake they'll never make again, WWFS is a strong performer for them, and while WNOW is the weak link they just retooled it to the companywide AMP format. So CBS is nominally using the "WLNY is in Long Island, separate DMA" to keep everything.

They could try focusing on LI stories, if "The Couch" was anything like the News at 9, it focused on NYC and ignored Long Island. Serves 'em right. If they focused on Long Island they would've done better, as News 12 is the only decent TV News source for LI'ers, but only available if you subscribe to Cablevision. CBS should run the news out of Melville and focus ONLY on Long Island stories. CBS 2 is for NYC stories and WLNY news should not be an hour long version of that.

CBS is keeping WLNY as a "Long Island" station because of a loophole.

When they got 101.9 for WFAN, they went over the TV/radio cap. Problem is, there's really nothing they'd want to divest: they'd be crazy if they got rid of WCBS 880 or 1010 WINS, ditching CBS-FM is a mistake they'll never make again, WWFS is a strong performer for them, and while WNOW is the weak link they just retooled it to the companywide AMP format. So CBS is nominally using the "WLNY is in Long Island, separate DMA" to keep everything.

I never heard anything about Long Island being a separate media market before unless it's different through Allbritton, I mean Arbitron, no I am certain it's now Nielson Audio.

I was going to let it go, but I feel like I need to say it. Has anybody noticed how WLNY has stopped playing the image news bumper at all times except for the open, rejoin, and the "today in history" section on the news @9? It seems like they might be following in WABC's footsteps...

After two years, WLNY's two-hour morning program The Couch has been canceled. One of its personalities, Carolina Bermudez, is also leaving WCBS/WLNY.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wlny-cancels-morning-newscast_b121530

It's a shame that this show is gone so quickly. It wasn't ground breaking, but it was a cut above other local shows. With a little time, it could have been a player.

WLNY would be wise to add a 7-9am straight newscast and a 4pm newscast as well.

Chris & Mary could continue on WLNY from 7-9am ("WLNY TV 10/55 News This Morning").

Then Dana & a new male co-anchor could anchor CBS 2 News at Noon, and the "WLNY-TV 10/55 News at 4pm".

Dick & Alice take over CBS 2 News at 6pm and continue on WLNY-TV 10/55 News at 9pm.

Who is WLNY available to? Just Long Island? NYC? New Jersey? Connecticut? I always thought that they covered a large part of the tri-state. But then again, when WLNY was independent, were they available to everybody or just Long Island?

If it's just Long Island that they cover, shame on them. All they do is give us NYC, NJ, and Hudson Valley stories, and yes, Long Island stories too, but if WLNY is only available to Long Islander's, why give us news from NYC, NJ, and CT?

I do agree with you, I think WLNY would be a success if they expand to all over the tri-state. Although I did not watch "The Couch", I am a loyal viewer to WLNY's News at 9, since I do live on Long Island, and it's actually very watchable.

This also brings up the question, is KCAL in Los Angeles available to the same area that KCBS is available to?

WLNY is available across most of the NYC Tri-State area. It is available on Comcast on LBI in Ocean County, NJ.

I never heard anything about Long Island being a separate media market before unless it's different through Allbritton, I mean Arbitron, no I am certain it's now Nielson Audio.

Correct. Nassau/Suffolk is a separate radio market.

Archived