From The Barbara Walters Building, This is ABC World News...

Jess

No, I am not making this up. ABC News World Headquarters is now the Barbara Walters Building effective tonight.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=9535068

....excuse me a minute.

GardnerFacepalmBig.jpg

...you know what, this isn't worth just one Facepalm Jim. Because if the ABC News HQ has to be named after somebody, trust me, it ain't Babs. And knowing that makes me ill.

Seriously, excuse me again.

picard-facepalm2_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

How about the Peter Jennings building?! Are you kidding me? The Charles Gibson building would be better!

Well, Peter has the whole street named after him. It might be over the top, but it's far from ridiculous. Something should be in order for Walters. If you ignore the last decade or so, her career is very impressive and deserving of permanent recognition. Back in the day, her ascent to the top did wonders for the advancement of women in news, and you can't deny that. Honestly, I really don't see where the big issue is.

Well, Peter has the whole street named after him. It might be over the top, but it's far from ridiculous. Something should be in order for Walters. If you ignore the last decade or so, her career is very impressive and deserving of permanent recognition. Back in the day, her ascent to the top did wonders for the advancement of women in news, and you can't deny that. Honestly, I really don't see where the big issue is.

I know, Barbara deserves something, but it's my bias towards Peter Jennings. And yes, Barbara's career is very impressive. (Fuck Harry Reasoner.)

Now, if it's mentioned in the INTRO, like Price is Right does with the Bob Barker Studio, then we got problems.

Now, if it's mentioned in the INTRO, [...] then we got problems.

That. Would. Suck.

On the bright side, they can't name the building after Diane Sawyer after her retirement.

That. Would. Suck.

On the bright side, they can't name the building after Diane Sawyer after her retirement.

LOL...I can envision it now..."Live from the Diane Sawyer Building In New York City...This is ABC World News...." That would be one of my worst nightmares.

Well, NBC News' new West Coast bureau is called the (Tom) Brokaw News Center, which makes perfect sense because Brokaw has remained with NBC for most of his career (Barbara Walters left NBC for ABC in 1976).

Well, NBC News' new West Coast bureau is called the (Tom) Brokaw News Center, which makes perfect sense because Brokaw has remained with NBC for most of his career (Barbara Walters left NBC for ABC in 1976).

Considering Brokaw started out his career at KNBC and he was with the company full time from 1966 - 2004 a total of 38 years is pretty impressive and still works for them as a contributor. Hell he even anchored the special report announcing Tim Russerts death and filled in for about five months in 2008 - I think it is well deserved especially considering he's was the face of the network for 20+ years. I wouldn't feel this way if they decided to rename 30 Rock after him considering it's an office building that has other tenants (even though NBC owns probably 70% of the slab) and because it's a "historic building".

How about name the World News studio and newsrooms the Barbara Walters World News Headquarters. The whole building is too much.

I agree, the building is a bit much go with the newsroom and name the studio The View is taped in. Hell they can even name a wing after her (Like the BBC did when they renovated New Broadcasting House with the John Peel wing) but the entire headquarters makes it seem like she was the one who built the network and most of its success.

I agree, the building is a bit much go with the newsroom and name the studio The View is taped in. Hell they can even name a wing after her (Like the BBC did when they renovated New Broadcasting House with the John Peel wing) but the entire headquarters makes it seem like she was the one who built the network and most of its success.

THIS.

That's why "Barbara Walters Building" rubbed me the wrong way. She was a huge part of making ABC News relevant, but by no means was she the only, or even the most prominent, ingredient. She was one of the main driving forces at ABC, but you can't tell me that she was more influential in the division's success than Peter Jennings or Roone Arledge.

Hell, if anything, that building should be the Roone Arledge News Center. Nobody in the history of that network was more influential than Roone.

Whether you like it or not, Barbra is up their with Peter Jennings and Roone Arledge in ABC History and Diane Sawyer will be up there too when she retires. The difference is Barbra and Diane are adapting to today's environment where as Peter and Roone are not around anymore.

On a side note, I definitely think they should name the World News studio after Peter.

To the person who made the reference that Brokaw has been with NBC his entire career, and that Walters moved in 1976, I'd like to point out that Walters has been with the same news organization for 38 years. Walters has interviewed every president since Richard Nixon, along with a plethora of other notable world leaders. And on top of that, even though it isn't hard journalism as most of you would like it, the creation of The View is a quite significant feat, and absolutely cannot be ignored. Peter Jennings has the entire street named for him, and Barbara Walters is just as respected as Jennings, Gibson, and all the others. It is ridiculous to criticize Disney/ABC for naming the building after her, considering she led ABC News to the highest rated news program in history with Monica Lewinsky. Food for thought.

To the person who made the reference that Brokaw has been with NBC his entire career' date=' and that Walters moved in 1976, I'd like to point out that Walters has been with the same news organization for 38 years. Walters has interviewed [b']every president[/b] since Richard Nixon, along with a plethora of other notable world leaders. And on top of that, even though it isn't hard journalism as most of you would like it, the creation of The View is a quite significant feat, and absolutely cannot be ignored. Peter Jennings has the entire street named for him, and Barbara Walters is just as respected as Jennings, Gibson, and all the others. It is ridiculous to criticize Disney/ABC for naming the building after her, considering she led ABC News to the highest rated news program in history with Monica Lewinsky. Food for thought.

THANK YOU!

To the person who made the reference that Brokaw has been with NBC his entire career, and that Walters moved in 1976, I'd like to point out that Walters has been with the same news organization for 38 years. Walters has interviewed every president since Richard Nixon, along with a plethora of other notable world leaders. And on top of that, even though it isn't hard journalism as most of you would like it, the creation of The View is a quite significant feat, and absolutely cannot be ignored. Peter Jennings has the entire street named for him, and Barbara Walters is just as respected as Jennings, Gibson, and all the others. It is ridiculous to criticize Disney/ABC for naming the building after her, considering she led ABC News to the highest rated news program in history with Monica Lewinsky. Food for thought.

Ridiculous to see people get worked up over this. After all these years in the business and what she has done for ABC News and female journalists,the woman has earned the recognition she is getting. Really, naming the building after her is the least they could do- and her getting recognized does not take away from the great work of Peter Jennings and Roone Arledge. Also, naming The View studio/building after Barbara may be nice, but it does not hold the same meaning as having the building where ABC News is housed, named after her. I'm pretty sure Barbara would like to be remembered for more than just being the creator/panelist of The View. There are more pressing issues destroying journalism, this isn't one of them.

Look at it this way: The style of journalism she is known best for is the style that ABC News excels at these days, so perhaps it is fitting.

That said, she is a journalism legend and deserves all the accolades coming her way and more.

Well said, indeed.

I understand and agree with the sentiment of naming the building in her honor, I think it's somewhat fitting. HOWEVER, If they refer to the building on air as "The Barbara Walters building" then that's just tacky. As the title of this thread points out "From The Barbara Walters building, this is World News.." that would sound terrible.

I agree with the fact that this shouldn't be used on-air. I seem to think this is more symbolic- it even says "ABC News Headquarters" on the plaque. Kind of like how that stretch of West 66th is Peter Jennings Way, buf when you walk up to someone and ask "Oh, do you know where ABC News is located?" They don't respond "oh yeah over on Peter Jennings Way"

I understand and agree with the sentiment of naming the building in her honor, I think it's somewhat fitting. HOWEVER, If they refer to the building on air as "The Barbara Walters building" then that's just tacky. As the title of this thread points out "From The Barbara Walters building, this is World News.." that would sound terrible.

They didn't tonight, and I doubt they ever will. If it was the Jennings building, maybe, but her time on the flagship is overshadowed by all of her other work.

LOL...I can envision it now..."Live from the Diane Sawyer Building In New York City...This is ABC World News...." That would be one of my worst nightmares.

Better yet...

Live from the Diane Sawyer Studio of the Barbara Walters Building in New York City... This is ABC World News...

In all seriousness, I don't think it'll be mentioned on air. I think it was mostly just a gesture of good faith by ABC in recognition of Walters's contributions. They'll add a plaque noting the new name of the building and probably not much else.

Archived