Tornado Outbreak 2014

Jess

If you're a weather geek like me and have 20-something minutes to kill, WLS in Chicago ran a severe storm special this past weekend. I had my doubts over the content going in, afraid it would be lowest common denominator material, but I was pretty impressed by the package. It's in 4 parts, but it might be nice to check out if you get into this kind of stuff...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=weather/severe&id=9516517

WTVA had some scary moments on the air, after having an amazing shot of the Tupelo tornado. Their live stream abruptly cut.

Weather Channel has been absolutely riveting today. They have stepped up their game post-DirecTV.

I was wondering what the heck was going on with WTVA's stream.

Some folks at WAPT took cover, but the tornado passed to their south and the station kept broadcasting.

I don't think WTOK in Meridian's live stream was up...even though the same tornado that went through south Jackson went through Meridian.

WDAM's stream is up for weather coverage.

TWC was on the money today...shocked the heck out of me.

WTVA had some scary moments on the air, after having an amazing shot of the Tupelo tornado. Their live stream abruptly cut.

I kind of figured the storm caused the stream to cut out, I was watching it shortly before the staff took shelter. They're lucky the tornado went to their south, so is Tupelo, should God forbid another tornado like that hit again; WTVA and WLOV are the only TV stations there and they're controlled by the same people, so area residents would have lost a lifeline during storms like that had the twister hit them head on.

Yep. Even the Memphis stations were covering the storms down there (well, since yesterday anyway).

The Memphis stations were in a bit of an unusual situation yesterday afternoon, as while the tornadoes in Tupelo (and surrounding areas) were not within their primary viewing area, much less the DMA, most of them felt compelled to come on the air and cover them wall-to-wall due to their extreme nature, the fact it was Tupelo, and after WTVA was knocked off the air. Some might have been able see the off-air signals from that distance and there are some cable systems in that area that do still carry the Memphis stations.

After about 4 PM WTVA returned to air and the continuous coverage ended, but obviously all the stations sent numerous crews to Tupelo to cover the damage and have been there all day today as well.

WCBI does cover Tupelo but I believe they were focusing on the storms closer to Columbus rather than Tupelo, though I'm sure they did continue to broadcast information. WLOV is operated by WTVA so when WTVA was unable to continue coverage that didn't help anybody able to watch WLOV (I'm not sure if WLOV's signal was affected at all).

Archived