CNN Affiliates

tvnewsjunkie

I have noticed that during Breaking News CNN uses footage from local affiliates. An example is when they use WABC for helicopter footage during the Harlem Exploision. How does this work? Does CNN have agreement like this with each stations owner or that specific station?

I have noticed that during Breaking News CNN uses footage from local affiliates. An example is when they use WABC for helicopter footage during the Harlem Exploision. How does this work? Does CNN have agreement like this with each stations owner or that specific station?

Some stations have multiple news sources and use several different video sources from networks too. WXYZ uses ABC, AP and CBS for breaking news alerts and ABC and CNN for actual segments like with the mudslide and the flight 370 story, in fact a weekend report was from a CNN reporter on 370 recently.

Umm...

This user is talking about how CNN uses footage from local stations, not local stations using footage from CNN (NewSource, etc).

Umm...

This user is talking about how CNN uses footage from local stations, not local stations using footage from CNN (NewSource, etc).

Unless something has changed I'm pretty sure CNN Newsource is reciprocal as caliwxdude stated.

I think the CBS version is Newspath?

Yes. For affiliate news services CBS has CBS Newspath. ABC has ABC NewsOne. And, Fox has Fox NewsEdge. All three also share/contribute to Network News Service. For the life of me I can't remember the name of NBC's news service. Duh, NBC has NBC News Channel...Thanks, TheMisterFree.

It's called CNN NewSource.

Local affiliates get to use CNN generic liveshots and packages, and in turn CNN gets to use local affiliate video during breaking news events.

Unless something has changed I'm pretty sure CNN Newsource is reciprocal as caliwxdude stated.

Yes. For affiliate news services CBS has CBS Newspath. ABC has ABC NewsOne. And,Fox has Fox NewsEdge. All three also share/contribute to Network News Service. For the life of me I can't remember the name of NBC's news service.

GAH! Didn't read that last sentence there. Whoops.

My understanding is that there is market exclusivity to CNN NewSource. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...)

When the three kidnapped girls from Cleveland were rescued last May 6, CNN used footage from all four local news outlets: WKYC, WEWS, WJW and WOIO/WUAB. I definitely know that WJW is affiliated with CNN NewSource (that dated back to their affiliation switch to Fox back in 1994 and predated the establishment of Fox News Channel/Fox NewsEdge) but all four stations?

My understanding is that there is market exclusivity to CNN NewSource. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...)

When the three kidnapped girls from Cleveland were rescued last May 6, CNN used footage from all four local news outlets: WKYC, WEWS, WJW and WOIO/WUAB. I definitely know that WJW is affiliated with CNN NewSource (that dated back to their affiliation switch to Fox back in 1994 and predated the establishment of Fox News Channel/Fox NewsEdge) but all four stations?

To the best of my knowledge only portions of CNN Newsource are market exclusive. They offer them as add-ons or "premium products" on their site.

EDIT: A quick google image search to find a picture of the CNN Newsource dashboard turned up this amusing article on how Conan created a bit out of the company news sharing service. Anyway, the picture of the dashboard definitely shows multiple affiliates in one market, Denver. You can easily see both KCNC & KUSA are listed sources contributing material. The article also makes mention of almost all the English language stations in San Francisco being affiliates of CNN Newsource as well.

It's quite common for multiple stations in one market to be CNN affiliates. The only exclusivity that I know of is what those stations can use... WJW, for instance, cannot use WKYC video that CNN NewSource offers.

It's quite common for multiple stations in one market to be CNN affiliates. The only exclusivity that I know of is what those stations can use... WJW, for instance, cannot use WKYC video that CNN NewSource offers

Yes, the local video is embargoed within market. The same applies to NNS.

Not sure, but I know during the Sikh Temple Shooting, CNN used footage from WTMJ, WITI, and WISN.

I remember finding the contract with Newsource requires significant reciprocity between the two and if they ask for a package the affiliate must get it to them ASAP.

It's not uncommon for all stations in the market to use Newsource. Here in Baltimore all four news producing stations subscribe to it and some use it more than others, WMAR and WBFF use it the most but probably contribute to it the least. One thing I have noticed is that the picture quality that stations submit to Newsource isn't always the best, WBAL which has had an HD helicopter for years will only share footage in SD saving the HD feed for the network or MSNBC.

As some have mentioned Newsource footage submitted to CNN is embargoed in market but CNN produced packages can used by all. This has been violated recently when Justin Bieber was arrested in Miami, WPLG which shares their helicopter with WTVJ and WFOR through a Local News Service provided footage to CNN per the reciprocity clause but the Univision O&O did not obey the embargo and took the helicopter feed from CNN complete with the footage attributed to WPLG. When WPLG, which has the final say over the LNS and it's feed, found out the pulled the footage nationally.

I would give just about anything to have a cnn feed at KRIV. But as an o&o it is forbidden by the higher ups.

Fox newsedge often lags, literally, days behind in providing some stories - or flat out doesn't send them at all. Having worked at an ABC affiliate, NNS is a good source -- if the video is passed along.

But rarely is everything they offer fed to us. Especially if it comes from the same market as one of the other o&os.

All stations in my market belong to CNN. I can't remember the last time I saw one of our stories on the BitCentral feed though. We lost CNN service as an o&o, but got it back under Local TV. Thank goodness too, because FOX News Edge story selection is terrible. In terms of breaking news, if it doesn't happen in N.Y. or D.C., it might as well not happen in FOX'S world.

All stations in my market belong to CNN. I can't remember the last time I saw one of our stories on the BitCentral feed though. We lost CNN service as an o&o, but got it back under Local TV. Thank goodness too, because FOX News Edge story selection is terrible. In terms of breaking news, if it doesn't happen in N.Y. or D.C., it might as well not happen in FOX'S world.

BitCentral is the OnDemand version of the satellite feed right? If I recall correctly I saw WTTG the Fox DC O&O as an affiliate a few years back.

Agreed with the caveat that the feed producers absolutely freaking LOVE KTVU-2 and WSVN-7. They will feed the most mundane stories as full packages from those two stations and skimp on coverage of anything else interesting from the rest of the affiliates (and o&os).

Archived