Photo

WPTY/WLMT Memphis Announces Complete Station Overhaul

* * * * - 2 votes WPTY Memphis New Set Nexstar ABC 24 CW 30 WLMT Nexstar Broadcasting Group ABC CW

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

...and the first hint of expanding programming now apparent. WATN just posted job openings for producer and host of an "infotainment" talk/variety show - I would guess something very similar to WREG's Live@9 that would air at "mid-morning".

Could be going directly against L@9 too taking Kelly and Michael off the schedule. I assume they would keep the View at 10a and Midday probably isn't going anywhere though it could be pivoted back toward harder news instead of interview and feature segments that it partially is made up of now.

Trev0

Trev0

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Awesome! Yeah, midday right now is almost like a mix of a midday news report and something like Live at 9. I could see them moving their singers, interviews, etc. to this mid-morning show and having midday strictly news. I could see it happening and I think it would work well for them. 

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

Awesome! Yeah, midday right now is almost like a mix of a midday news report and something like Live at 9. I could see them moving their singers, interviews, etc. to this mid-morning show and having midday strictly news. I could see it happening and I think it would work well for them. 

My only concern though unlikely is they would replace Midday with this. I would rather not see that though Midday/Noon news in general is increasingly becoming superfluous and irrelevant these days. They *could* cut Midday to a half hour, then do this for the second half hour at 11:30. That said, 9 AM seems most likely I would think.

Would not be shocked if this show ends up being modeled after Good Things Utah on sister station KTVX.

http://www.abc4.com/...tu/default.aspx

sanewsguy

sanewsguy

General Manager

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

...and the first hint of expanding programming now apparent. WATN just posted job openings for producer and host of an "infotainment" talk/variety show - I would guess something very similar to WREG's Live@9 that would air at "mid-morning".

Could be going directly against L@9 too taking Kelly and Michael off the schedule. I assume they would keep the View at 10a and Midday probably isn't going anywhere though it could be pivoted back toward harder news instead of interview and feature segments that it partially is made up of now.

Not necessarily. Look at WMBD ("Living Well"), KSNF (also titled "Living Well"), KOLR (Ozarks Live! at 4), and WBRE (PA LIVE!). These are all Nexstar stations that air similar shows but at 4PM as opposed to a 9AM timeslot. They also air for one hour. If WATN launches anything similar, it'll probably be at 4PM as a lead in to their 5PM.

Take a look at KOLR's show, that's probably what you'll be getting on WATN. They have a former meteorologist and a popular "relationship expert" who co-host the show (while that pairing sounds laughable they actually seem to get along well). The show can get pretty funny at times, such as when they tried to make fried ice cream on TV.

They could also try to shoot for something like "Good Things Utah/Daily Dish" on KTVX, but I doubt it, since those are holdovers from the Newport days.

Also, where would the show be done from? I don't think this was ever mentioned, but they do have a second studio in their building? Or just the main one where they do the news from?

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

Not necessarily. Look at WMBD ("Living Well"), KSNF (also titled "Living Well"), KOLR (Ozarks Live! at 4), and WBRE (PA LIVE!). These are all Nexstar stations that air similar shows but at 4PM as opposed to a 9AM timeslot. They also air for one hour. If WATN launches anything similar, it'll probably be at 4PM as a lead in to their 5PM.

Take a look at KOLR's show, that's probably what you'll be getting on WATN. They have a former meteorologist and a popular "relationship expert" who co-host the show (while that pairing sounds laughable they actually seem to get along well). The show can get pretty funny at times, such as when they tried to make fried ice cream on TV.

They could also try to shoot for something like "Good Things Utah/Daily Dish" on KTVX, but I doubt it, since those are holdovers from the Newport days.

Also, where would the show be done from? I don't think this was ever mentioned, but they do have a second studio in their building? Or just the main one where they do the news from?

Very true on the 4p shows, but the opening for the show's producer specifically states it's for mid-morning...

The show producer will be responsible for the daily production of a new mid-morning show which includes line producing as well as editorial and technical elements.

That's why I was thinking along the lines of a Good Things Utah type of thing, at the very least something to directly compete against Live @ 9 on WREG and WHBQ's 9 AM hour of Good Morning Memphis which tends to follow a similar talk/variety format too.

They do not have a second studio in their new building. They would have build out something else (they might or might not have room for that, not sure) or modify their interview offshoot area.

sanewsguy

sanewsguy

General Manager

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Somewhat old news, but KAMC is now using the WATN graphics when they made the conversion to HD. They made the switch back in July and I'm surprised I'm just now learning that. Sister station KLBK is using the WROC HD graphics which are a step up from the bastardized version of the CBS O&O graphics they were using previously...

968965_513282898727489_2123781745_a.jpg

1008788_522154544506991_730163179_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/KAMCNews

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

Just a minor update on WATN's upcoming local infotainment show - as of September 9 WATN is replacing Live with Kelly and Michael with an infomercial block, which indicates it's being dropped entirely (it's not anywhere else on the schedule at either WATN or WLMT). I think it's safe to assume the infomercial block will be temporary filler until the upcoming new show, meaning 9 am for it will be.

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

WATN confirmed this morning on FB (after receiving numerous comments/complaints) that they did not renew Live with Kelly and Michael and that it will be replaced by "Local Memphis Live" at the beginning of October.

Doesn't appear Live has been picked up by anybody else in the market either - which means it won't be seen in Memphis for the first time since the early 90s. 

tmanokc

tmanokc

News Director

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

WATN confirmed this morning on FB (after receiving numerous comments/complaints) that they did not renew Live with Kelly and Michael and that it will be replaced by "Local Memphis Live" at the beginning of October.

Doesn't appear Live has been picked up by anybody else in the market either - which means it won't be seen in Memphis for the first time since the early 90s. 

Tsk. Memphis will be in the same boat that Oklahoma City was in for three years (2010 to 2013), when KWTV dropped the show. But with Nate Berkus (which replaced Live at 9 a.m. in 2010) and then Ricki Lake (which replaced Nate last year) floundering, KWTV brought it back earlier this week, so chances are that Live might return to Memphis someday. Considering how well Live performs nationally, especially since Michael Strahan replaced Regis, it seems peculiar that no station would pick it up if another station in the same market dropped it (there might be scheduling issues with the show being picked up by an NBC station, like WMC for example, because of the last two hours of Today, or a Fox affiliate that runs their morning news until 10 a.m., like WHBQ, but that's it).

sanewsguy

sanewsguy

General Manager

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Yeah, some other station will probably pick it up in due time. This actually happened in San Antonio. WOAI had carried Live with Regis and Kathie Lee/Kelly at 9 AM since it debuted in syndication in 1986. It did OK in the ratings on WOAI (nobody watches this station here but anyway...) but they decided to dump it in favor of "Rachael Ray" back in 2009 because their then-current GM said that it received better ratings in the market. This was a stupid move. The reason why is because, no duh RR got better ratings, it aired on KSAT, the number one station overall in the market!

WOAI got a lot of complaints over this. Finally, KSAT picked it up in 2011 after "Nate Berkus" wasn't renewed (the show that replaced Rachael Ray on KSAT). KSAT now gets good ratings in this timeslot, outrating KENS, KABB, and WOAI.

And if you're wondering as an aside, WOAI airs the third hour of Today at 11AM, and the fourth hour at noon.

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

It would be difficult for any other Memphis station to pick it up unless they wanted it to air way out of normal pattern given WREG/WMC/WHBQ's morning schedules. Of course, when WPTY went to ABC in '95 they dumped Live in the middle of the night (usually 1 or 2 AM) for several years. Honestly the best fit would have been WLMT and I was surprised they didn't keep it and just move it over to there. Much of WLMT's AM schedule consists of next-day repeats of WATN's syndicated shows so there was definitely room.

This is where the Memphis market shows a big weakness in not having a 6th station for syndicated programs the other 5 don't pick up. WPXX gave a weak attempt when they affiliated with MyNetwork in '06 but it didn't last long before they were back to a full-time ION simulcast.

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

Didn't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here since it certainly is related to WATN.

This afternoon WATN posted a job opening for a weeknight anchor position, for three newscasts each night. By the description, it certainly sounds like a main anchor position in that they require 10 years experience and knowledge of the Memphis market and issues, etc. I'm not sure whether to infer either Cameron Harper or Joyce Peterson could be leaving, either would seem highly unlikely - or else maybe there is a plan to expand newscasts in some way (4/4:30 PM?) and move people around a bit in response. Anchoring three newscasts each night would certainly not be able to include WLMT's 9 PM for instance unless you took out WATN's 5, 6, or 10 from that position. 

Uncertain what it means at this point. I also note they posted an opening for a weekend anchor so I don't know if Jeff Beimfohr might be leaving or perhaps they are going to expand to 2 anchors on the weekend (that one seems more unlikely I would think). 

Here's the weeknight anchor opening...

http://nexstar.hirec...jobs/63145.html

Leavellebrett

Leavellebrett

Johnstown Correspondent

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSaxton, PA

Weekend anchor is probably moving up to weeknights and they're looking for a coanchor.  Joyce and Cameron may just be moving to 6:00 and 11:00 and the 5:00, 5:30 and 10:00 will be taken care of by Jeff and the soon to come coanchor.

That's just my guess.

"Why was traffic problems emails sent?!" - Rev. Al Sharpton

sanewsguy

sanewsguy

General Manager

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Didn't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here since it certainly is related to WATN.

This afternoon WATN posted a job opening for a weeknight anchor position, for three newscasts each night. By the description, it certainly sounds like a main anchor position in that they require 10 years experience and knowledge of the Memphis market and issues, etc. I'm not sure whether to infer either Cameron Harper or Joyce Peterson could be leaving, either would seem highly unlikely - or else maybe there is a plan to expand newscasts in some way (4/4:30 PM?) and move people around a bit in response. Anchoring three newscasts each night would certainly not be able to include WLMT's 9 PM for instance unless you took out WATN's 5, 6, or 10 from that position. 

Uncertain what it means at this point. I also note they posted an opening for a weekend anchor so I don't know if Jeff Beimfohr might be leaving or perhaps they are going to expand to 2 anchors on the weekend (that one seems more unlikely I would think). 

Here's the weeknight anchor opening...

http://nexstar.hirec...jobs/63145.html

Damn, 10 years experience? They're not messing around here.

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

Weekend anchor is probably moving up to weeknights and they're looking for a coanchor.  Joyce and Cameron may just be moving to 6:00 and 11:00 and the 5:00, 5:30 and 10:00 will be taken care of by Jeff and the soon to come coanchor.

That's just my guess.

That's a good guess. However just to be clear WATN's current weeknight newscast times are 5, 6 and 10, with an hour on sister WLMT at 9. Central Time! LOL

Very possible Jeff would move up to anchor two new newscasts at undetermined times, plus maybe pick up the WLMT 9 PM hour (or some other combination), and the position opening tonight would be a co-anchor for him. Then the weekend opening would be his replacement there. All speculation but probably the best guess to have for right now. 

I would still favor a 4 and 4:30 at the most likely time if they are expanding. They've already done a few special reports in that hour in the last few months (for breaking news or weather) that they've never tried before, so that might have been some experimenting, and several Nexstar stations do have 4 PM news hours.

Leavellebrett

Leavellebrett

Johnstown Correspondent

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSaxton, PA

That's a good guess. However just to be clear WATN's current weeknight newscast times are 5, 6 and 10, with an hour on sister WLMT at 9. Central Time! LOL

Time zones that split in the middle of a state always throw me off.  I was thinking east TN and not west TN.  Excuse the Pennsylvania boy.

"Why was traffic problems emails sent?!" - Rev. Al Sharpton

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

Well...

I don't have NewsBlues access but one of its headlines this morning was regarding a primary Memphis anchor not renewing their contract. Without seeing the specifics that certainly raises my suspicions back that either Cameron or Joyce are leaving given the above. Really shocked at either, but I'd probably lean toward Cameron among the two. I assume better confirmation will be coming before long.

Trev0

Trev0

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Well...curiosity got the best of me, so I went ahead and got a one-month subscription. 

Joyce Peterson, the primary news anchor at Nexstar's last-place "WATN-TV LOCAL 24,"formerly known as WPTY-24-ABC in Memphis (Market #50), is expected to leave the station at the end of sweeps. NewsBlues has learned that she will not renew her contract. Peterson has worked at WATN since 2006, coming from across the street at WMC-5-NBC, where she anchored weekend mornings. Although Peterson says she wants to explore other opportunities, station insiders believe she's eyeballing a return to WMC (after sitting out a non-compete), where her husband, weather guesser Ron Childers, is the heir apparent to Chief Meteorologist Dave Brown.

Although I guess it makes sense if she were to return to WMC. 

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

Oh wow. Going back to WMC would be the only reason to leave WATN, so she definitely must be eyeing that. Didn't see that coming at al

I'm making the call now - WATN is probably going to pursue Donna Davis. I don't know what she's doing now or whether she'd be interested at all but I can guarantee she's very much on their wish list especially if they're wanting somebody with Memphis experience which the opening was specific about.

JTMEM

JTMEM

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 394 posts

Another update - Jeff Beimfohr's bio is no longer available on WATN's website so it would appear indeed he is out as well at 24. Unsure of what the exact circumstances are there. But now WATN has to fill two big anchor positions and I assume they will want to before the May sweeps. They're going to have to get somebody familiar to Memphis to fill Joyce's shoes, whether that's somebody like Donna Davis or not. She is undoubtedly one of Memphis's most likable tv personalities (and engaging, especially on social media) and was really WATN's biggest asset I'd have to say. Just when you think 24/30 might have begun to turn a big corner...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WPTY, Memphis, New Set, Nexstar, ABC 24, CW 30, WLMT, Nexstar Broadcasting Group, ABC, CW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users