527 replies to this topic

tmmontgomery

tmmontgomery

Reporter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationTuscaloosa

null

for long ignored on youtube DMA 39 opens and the like, check out http://youtube.com/tayloroux

jero23

jero23

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 300 posts

I think it would do 33/40 some good to see Cox buy them. Since they just got rid of several decent sized stations, I feel they need to beef up. I would really like to see a more national company come in and see what they could do with 33/40. In my opinion the market is stuck in a rut and needs something creative. Wouldn't mind Scripps or Gannett either, I think Gannett could give Raycom a big run for their money in creating a "network" of stations in the south. PRAYING Raycom does not eat up these stations, especially because that would mean duopoly in B'ham. I can see an LMA barreling down the tunnel right now. The only reason I don't see Cox coming here is they just sold all the radio stations they had to Cumulus.

Cox sold its Birmingham cluster to its former market manager, David Dubose and a group of "investors" called "Summit Media Group".  

I completely disagree with you. 33/40 is a Birmingham HOG. Not sure how long ago you watched or if you've ever watched at all, but honestly the only station that is REALLY starting to eat up other market share is WBRC. They recently hired about 5 former professional staff members from WVUA-TV in and have built a large newsroom in Tuscaloosa. They have been covering West Alabama like white on rice.

33/40 doesn't even do live shots from its studio in Anniston anymore. 

The station covers the same amount of actual city limit news as any of the stations here. The only one who I'd say doesn't cover the actual city as much is WIAT. That could change though since Lin in FINALLY here. hallelujah 

Uh, I grew up in Birmingham and remember when stations wouldn't be afraid of focusing their news on the only true US major city in the market, Birmingham.  Although I now live in Atlanta, I know what is still going on in Birmingham on a regular.

ABC 33/40's main purpose from day 1 was force all the other Birmingham stations to not focus on the core city of the market rather on what is going on in daily small-town Alabama.  Yeah, Raycom is another culprit with that "ignore Birmingham BS" as well.  NBCU-owned WVTM and present LIN-owned WIAT were/are the only ones that did allow their stations focus on Birmingham and cover the other areas as needed.  Meanwhile, Media General has turned WVTM into Tuscaloosa's biggest cheerleader does "Tuscaloosa Living" ring a bell?   Why doesn't anyone do a show focusing on Birmingham, hmm?  WBRC is just copying WVTM with their recent moves.  That is the reason why WIAT has shot up like a rocket in ratings because B'ham metro residents hate the omission of the news and positive happenings around the city.

Oh yeah, ABC 33/40 doesn't do live shots from Anniston anymore because Kevyn Stewart took a job with FOX O&O "FOX5 Atlanta" WAGA in Atlanta in January.  As a result, the "East Alabama Newsroom" is ran by a small group of off-air photojournalists and occasionally with Cory McGinnis for actual live shots.  At the end of the day, ABC 33/40 operates like a small-market news operation.

Birmingham DMA needs some new blood and someone that wants to show that this isn't a region of a bunch small towns like Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson-Asheville or Harrisburg-Lancaster-York.  It should be more rather more or less like Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville, a market with a large urban area and a handful of satellite cities but those places should never become the focus over a 1.2 million inhabitant metro area.

solidscooter

solidscooter

Health Team

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationDEEP South

Cox sold its Birmingham cluster to its former market manager, David Dubose and a group of "investors" called "Summit Media Group".  

Uh, I grew up in Birmingham and remember when stations wouldn't be afraid of focusing their news on the only true US major city in the market, Birmingham.  Although I now live in Atlanta, I know what is still going on in Birmingham on a regular.

ABC 33/40's main purpose from day 1 was force all the other Birmingham stations to not focus on the core city of the market rather on what is going on in daily small-town Alabama.  Yeah, Raycom is another culprit with that "ignore Birmingham BS" as well.  NBCU-owned WVTM and present LIN-owned WIAT were/are the only ones that did allow their stations focus on Birmingham and cover the other areas as needed.  Meanwhile, Media General has turned WVTM into Tuscaloosa's biggest cheerleader does "Tuscaloosa Living" ring a bell?   Why doesn't anyone do a show focusing on Birmingham, hmm?  WBRC is just copying WVTM with their recent moves.  That is the reason why WIAT has shot up like a rocket in ratings because B'ham metro residents hate the omission of the news and positive happenings around the city.

Oh yeah, ABC 33/40 doesn't do live shots from Anniston anymore because Kevyn Stewart took a job with FOX O&O "FOX5 Atlanta" WAGA in Atlanta in January.  As a result, the "East Alabama Newsroom" is ran by a small group of off-air photojournalists and occasionally with Cory McGinnis for actual live shots.  At the end of the day, ABC 33/40 operates like a small-market news operation.

Birmingham DMA needs some new blood and someone that wants to show that this isn't a region of a bunch small towns like Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson-Asheville or Harrisburg-Lancaster-York.  It should be more rather more or less like Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville, a market with a large urban area and a handful of satellite cities but those places should never become the focus over a 1.2 million inhabitant metro area.

I mean, I just watched 33/40's 5 and 6 and half their A-Block was all on stuff that came out of council. And WBRC has had a dedicated live truck for t-town for about three years, long before Ms. Armstrong started doing her so called "packages". Can't remember the last time 13 did a live shot down here. And if you don't want the larger cities covered... Maybe petition Nielsen to break the market up again. That would solve all the problems you are stating. Have you actually seen the books? Ratings are not increasing for WIAT. Why did they demote Mark Prater, get rid of Ken Lass and hire a new Chief Met? hmm. BTW this is really getting off the subject of the thread. Stay on topic guys. I grew up in Birmingham as well.

I personally think Scripps would revive the stations (minus WJLA) the best. I think they could have an interest especially in the midwest/southeast stations. I lSinclair, no way. ABC/Disney no go for 33/40. Probably not even WJLA. I like entertaining Gannett. Belo doesn't want it. Hearst doesn't have the money. Nexstar DEFINITELY does not have the money. I'd like to see Scripps take over! Like tmmontgomery said, Cox would be a good fit because they journalistically are really good at what they do, and they would stay true to the stations' on air talent and the roots of the station. That is somewhat important after all.

jero23

jero23

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 300 posts

I mean, I just watched 33/40's 5 and 6 and half their A-Block was all on stuff that came out of council. And WBRC has had a dedicated live truck for t-town for about three years, long before Ms. Armstrong started doing her so called "packages". Can't remember the last time 13 did a live shot down here. And if you don't want the larger cities covered... Maybe petition Nielsen to break the market up again. That would solve all the problems you are stating. Have you actually seen the books? Ratings are not increasing for WIAT. Why did they demote Mark Prater, get rid of Ken Lass and hire a new Chief Met? hmm. BTW this is really getting off the subject of the thread. Stay on topic guys. I grew up in Birmingham as well.

I personally think Scripps would revive the stations (minus WJLA) the best. I think they could have an interest especially in the midwest/southeast stations. I lSinclair, no way. ABC/Disney no go for 33/40. Probably not even WJLA. I like entertaining Gannett. Belo doesn't want it. Hearst doesn't have the money. Nexstar DEFINITELY does not have the money. I'd like to see Scripps take over! Like tmmontgomery said, Cox would be a good fit because they journalistically are really good at what they do, and they would stay true to the stations' on air talent and the roots of the station. That is somewhat important after all.

Sure, we can stay on topic, but 2 things.  Ken Lass' exit (retirement), Mark Prater "demotion", and the introduction of Gene Norman were exclusively decisions of LIN management in Indy not those in Birmingham.  The market as is fine, but the largest population center (Birmingham) deserves the respect as such rather than being pushed to the side as if it is irrelevant.  There is a way to cover news in those smaller urban center not at the expense of Birmingham.

Regardless, I'm still betting on Disney/ABC, Scripps, and/or Hearst might have some involvement but that's it with those 3.  I doubt Cox will come back to Birmingham after just completing its spinning off of its large radio cluster.  David DuBose and his group are now running the show at the office complex in northern Shelby County. 

GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9

News Director

• Members
  • 548 posts

We know Local TV LLC has closed its offers and is now sorting them out, but do we know anything about Allbritton yet?

I think this one will get more offers, as it has fewer stations and a lower price tag, especially if WJLA is separated (most believe that will become an ABC O&O).

GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9

News Director

• Members
  • 548 posts

Conflicts if they purchase Allbritton whole (I can't see them going piecemeal, *indicates unlikely to buy WJLA, probably cannot afford them):

Sinclair - WBMA et al (x3 with 1 shelled), WCIV (x2 with 1 shelled), WHTM (x2 with 1 quasi-shelled)

Nexstar* - KATV (x4 with 2 shelled, that will make Gannett mad!), WHTM (quasi-shell with Sinclair)

Scripps - KTUL

Hearst - WHTM

Cox - KTUL (x2)

Media General* - WBMA et al, WCIV, WSET

Gannett - KATV, WJLA

Raycom* - WBMA et al, WCIV

LIN* - WBMA et al

Meredith* - can absorb whole, no conflicts

Almost every reasonable buyer would hit a wall somewhere. The most reasonable deal IMO is Hearst (especially if they want WJLA as well), since their only conflict is in the Susquehanna Valley, and they would surely get rid of WHTM since they own the ultra-dominant WGAL already.

ShawnieMac

ShawnieMac

Weekend Anchor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Almost every reasonable buyer would hit a wall somewhere. The most reasonable deal IMO is Hearst (especially if they want WJLA as well), since their only conflict is in the Susquehanna Valley, and they would surely get rid of WHTM since they own the ultra-dominant WGAL already.

Another conflict is a lot closer to D.C., 40 miles up the road with WBAL.

CircleSeven

CircleSeven

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Another conflict is a lot closer to D.C., 40 miles up the road with WBAL.

If would have been a conflict, if the overlap rules stayed in effect. For example like CBS having that conflict between WPRI & WBZ and Gray's conflict with WALB & WCTV. It has since been relaxed, once the duopoly laws went into effect in the early 2000s. Remember, Fox use to own WUTB, while having WTTG/WDCA. Sinclair wants WJLA bad and that's 50 miles to their home base (from Arlington, VA) where they have a triplestick there. Scripps could also be a possibility as well, despite having, WMAR 2.

TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

I would eat my hat if Sinclair buys WJLA, in which I hope and pray they don't. I can predict ABC O&O buys WJLA and maybe NewsChannel 8 (24 Cable News).

With Coverage You Can Count On, In The Spirit of Texas. This is 6 Eyewitness News Nightbeat at Ten.

GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9

News Director

• Members
  • 548 posts

I would eat my hat if Sinclair buys WJLA, in which I hope and pray they don't. I can predict ABC O&O buys WJLA and maybe NewsChannel 8 (24 Cable News).

Can Sinclair afford both Allbritton and Local TV LLC (combined would be about $2.5 to $3 billion) though? Although they seem to be buying everything in sight when the chance exists...

Myron Falwell

Myron Falwell

Director of Graphic Blandishment

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationWild West Avon, Ohio (the duct tape capital of the world)

Can Sinclair afford both Allbritton and Local TV LLC (combined would be about $2.5 to $3 billion) though? Although they seem to be buying everything in sight when the chance exists...

If Fox actually entered the bidding for LocalTV, that would ensure Sinclair won't win the bidding for all of the stations. But they could get a few, or all, of the NYT stations that Fox would logically spin off.

If Allbritron is still selling WJLA/NC8 and the rest of the group separately (all signs earlier in this thread indicated they are), then, yes, Sinclair could buy the rest. WJLA's asking price may be a bit too much, and ABC will work to make sure they get WJLA, no matter what.
Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

jero23

jero23

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 300 posts

If Fox actually entered the bidding for LocalTV, that would ensure Sinclair won't win the bidding for all of the stations. But they could get a few, or all, of the NYT stations that Fox would logically spin off.

If Allbritron is still selling WJLA/NC8 and the rest of the group separately (all signs earlier in this thread indicated they are), then, yes, Sinclair could buy the rest. WJLA's asking price may be a bit too much, and ABC will work to make sure they get WJLA, no matter what.

Sinclair would not be allowed to purchase or manage WBMA/WCFT/WJSU "ABC 33/40", so that is already out of the question

sanewsguy

sanewsguy

General Manager

• Members
  • 1,368 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Sinclair would not be allowed to purchase or manage WBMA/WCFT/WJSU "ABC 33/40", so that is already out of the question

No it's not. WBMA and satellites count as one station for ratings and regulatory purposes. They can always use one of their shells to purchase it. It could happen...

CircleSeven

CircleSeven

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

No it's not. WBMA and satellites count as one station for ratings and regulatory purposes. They can always use one of their shells to purchase it. It could happen...

Sadly, sanewsguy is right. I'd explained it one the possible scenario earlier in this thread.

Thundershock MN

Thundershock MN

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 381 posts

Sadly, sanewsguy is right. I'd explained it one the possible scenario earlier in this thread.

Ok, I have been thinking about this. Would Sinclair even need a shell? Hear me out here...

1. Low power stations do not count towards ownership/duopoly limits.

2. It is established that satellite stations count as one station.
3. The affliation agreement between Allbritton/ABC lists WBMA as the "primary station".

In part from the affliation agreement..."The following shall constitute the agreement (the "Agreement") between American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. ("ABC," "Network," "us" or "we") and WBMA-LD/TV Alabama, Inc. ("you" or "your" or "Allbritton"), for program carriage and promotion on your station, WBMA-LD, Channel 40.1 Birmingham, AL ("Station"). Channel 40.1 is WBMA-LD’s "Primary Channel" for purposes of this Agreement. Television Stations WCFT, Channel 33.1 and WJSU, Channel 9.1, shall serve as WBMA’s satellites, simultaneously transmitting Station’s Primary Channel."

So, If the FCC also recognizes WBMA is the primary or originating station that could present an interesting wrinkle. If WBMA is the "primary station" and you couple that with points 1 & 2 above then would the cluster of WBMA/WCFT/WJSU even count towards ownership/duopoly limits at all? :huh: 

I really hope I didn't find another loophole for everyones favorite station group to come in and exploit.

sanewsguy

sanewsguy

General Manager

• Members
  • 1,368 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Ok, I have been thinking about this. Would Sinclair even need a shell? Hear me out here...

1. Low power stations do not count towards ownership/duopoly limits.

2. It is established that satellite stations count as one station.
3. The affliation agreement between Allbritton/ABC lists WBMA as the "primary station".

In part from the affliation agreement..."The following shall constitute the agreement (the "Agreement") between American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. ("ABC," "Network," "us" or "we") and WBMA-LD/TV Alabama, Inc. ("you" or "your" or "Allbritton"), for program carriage and promotion on your station, WBMA-LD, Channel 40.1 Birmingham, AL ("Station"). Channel 40.1 is WBMA-LD’s "Primary Channel" for purposes of this Agreement. Television Stations WCFT, Channel 33.1 and WJSU, Channel 9.1, shall serve as WBMA’s satellites, simultaneously transmitting Station’s Primary Channel."

So, If the FCC also recognizes WBMA is the primary or originating station that could present an interesting wrinkle. If WBMA is the "primary station" and you couple that with points 1 & 2 above then would the cluster of WBMA/WCFT/WJSU even count towards ownership/duopoly limits at all? :huh: 

I really hope I didn't find another loophole for everyones favorite station group to come in and exploit.

Sinclair wouldn't have to use a shell if they didn't already own stations in this market. But they own WTTO/WDBB and WABM, which gives them a duopoly in the market. Therefore they have to use a shell to buy WBMA+. Sure, it's one station, but FCC says an owner can't have a triopoly. Yeah, right. That's where shells come in. So WBMA+ could very well go to Sinclair shell (more than likely Deerfield).

Although you bring up an interesting point by bringing up their affiliation contract. Yes, the FCC doesn't limit how many low power stations an owner can own in the same market. So technically Sinclair proper could get WBMA-LD while Deerfield gets the satellites. But the way their affiliation agreement seems to be setup as well as the fact that I don't think satellites can be owned by a different station group than the primary station, WBMA-LD would probably have to go to Deerfield (or Cunningham) as well. Or they could always divest WABM (or WTTO). Give one of them to Raycom or LIN to have a duopoly with their existing stations in the market.

Thundershock MN

Thundershock MN

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 381 posts

Sinclair wouldn't have to use a shell if they didn't already own stations in this market. But they own WTTO/WDBB and WABM, which gives them a duopoly in the market. Therefore they have to use a shell to buy WBMA+. Sure, it's one station, but FCC says an owner can't have a triopoly. Yeah, right. That's where shells come in. So WBMA+ could very well go to Sinclair shell (more than likely Deerfield).

Although you bring up an interesting point by bringing up their affiliation contract. Yes, the FCC doesn't limit how many low power stations an owner can own in the same market. So technically Sinclair proper could get WBMA-LD while Deerfield gets the satellites. But the way their affiliation agreement seems to be setup as well as the fact that I don't think satellites can be owned by a different station group than the primary station, WBMA-LD would probably have to go to Deerfield (or Cunningham) as well. Or they could always divest WABM (or WTTO). Give one of them to Raycom or LIN to have a duopoly with their existing stations in the market.

But, if WBMA+ is treated as one station then it should go as one whole unit. We agree Sinclair proper can technically aquire WBMA-LD outright. And, when stations that have satellites are sold they all go as one unit. So, then wouldn't WBMA-LD's satellites (even if they are full powered) go with it by default? 

Stated another way in the FCC's eyes Sinclair proper would own 2 full power stations and 1 low power station. That low power station just coincidentally happens to have 2 full power satellite stations.

I could be overanalyzing it. But, WBMA+'s unique structure could, in theory,create a loophole that can be exploited. It probably doesn't matter anyway. As you and CircleSeven pointed out they could just use a shell.

GoldenShine9

GoldenShine9

News Director

• Members
  • 548 posts

Now with Tribune buying Local TV, I think it leaves Hearst as most likely if someone wants to stop Sinclair here, since they have the money (and can also afford WJLA if Disney passes on it). With the exception of WHTM, it all fits in their portfolio and creates clusters as well with them all very close to other assets but not in the same market.

WHTM could be sold off separately, perhaps Nexstar might want it as a loose asset (their only hope IMO).

Fred Flintstone

Fred Flintstone

News Director

• Members
  • 558 posts

Neither Hubbard nor the Dispatch are going to sell. 

Dispatch Broadcast rakes in $100 million a year in revenues and recently made this Top-30 list.

http://www.tvnewsche...age/10#group-30

The amazing thing is that if you look at the rest of the list, practically nobody else can squeeze the kind of revenue out of their stations like Dispatch gets out of WBNS and WTHR. They make the kind of money with two stations that the others make with dozens (in some cases). Furthermore, the Wolfes have no debt and they can afford to outspend all the broadcast companies in their markets who answer to Wall Street bankers instead of their viewers. They run a quality outfit.

All hail the family broadcaster!  I hope they are around forever.

Fred Flintstone

Fred Flintstone

News Director

• Members
  • 558 posts

So I'm going to surprise everyone and say this is probably the one, big, exception.  Disney does not buy stations, yes, and they wouldn't buy the whole of the Albritton group.  But if WJLA is on the market... it would be crazy to rule ABC out of any deal for this.

Why?  Location, location, location.  This is in market #9.  Save for WTVD and KFSN, which apparently perform group functions, none of ABC's stations are below number ten.

What else is in Washington, DC?  ABC News' Washington bureau.  I'm not sure what the benefits of combining those would be but there would be some efficiencies, I'm sure.  Plus having their own station in the area would enhance their reporting of any breaking news stories involving Washington.

Not only is Washington Market No. 9, it is a very wealthy and high income Market No. 9. There is a high concentration of six figure income jobs in and around the Washington area because of Uncle Sam.

Washington is also a moderate climate, which means that it gets cold in the winter time. Just an educated guess, but does that mean people stay indoors and actually watch TV as opposed to warm-weather areas?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Allbritton, WJLA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users