WPTY Memphis meteorologist Mark Walden dead at age 38

memnews1

Chief Meteorologist Mark Walden of ABC 24/CW 30 (WPTY/WLMT) Memphis passed away last night at the age of 38. He was just on the news a few nights ago. Thoughts and prayers for his friends and family, and may he rest in peace. Link to the ABC 24 story.

ABC 24 story:

MEMPHIS, TN (abc24.com) - It is with great sadness that we report the sudden loss of an ABC 24 family member, Chief Meteorologist Mark Walden. According to officials, Mark died in his home over the weekend from apparent natural causes. He was 38 years old. Mark joined ABC 24 in 1999. He was highly respected among his colleagues as a gifted meteorologist with a passion for weather, and keeping our community safe and informed. Mark also proudly served with numerous charitable organizations. He leaves behind his beloved wife, stepdaughter and son. Memorial services are still pending. All of us at ABC 24 are heartbroken by Mark's passing, and we extend our deepest sympathies to his family and loved ones. ABC 24 will pay tribute to Mark Walden, beginning in our 5 p.m. Sunday newscast.

Story.jpg

This is incredibly shocking. Mark was just on Friday night and all seemed well. Some of his friends are saying he hadn't been feeling well though, then suddenly collapsed at his home last night. 38 years old and it doesn't make sense.

Mark was without a doubt one of the most generous people you would ever find and this is a massive loss for the community, both in meteorology and Memphis as a whole. Many may remember that 24's previous chief meteorologist Brian Teigland also died suddenly only 5 years ago (though he had a long history of health problems). I can't even imagine his co-workers now having go to through this twice.

Thoughts and prayers to all at ABC24 and Mark's family.

I first heard about the news of Mark Walden's passing this morning when I was getting ready for church. It's really sad that he died at such a young age and so suddenly.

My thoughts and prayers also go out to his immediate family and to his colleagues at WPTY/WLMT during their time of mourning.

A little amusing side note to this tragedy, Joyce Peterson interviewed several meteorologists this afternoon to get their reflections on Mark, including their own weekend/morning forecaster Lauren Raymer. ABC24 posted the full interviews on their website. If you listen to Lauren's interview Joyce's first question/thought back to her was how Mark never complained "even when you know there has been much to complain about here in the last few years". That was pretty bold to include!

http://www.abc24.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=4008645

Sounds like everyone knows that WPTY is in for a much-needed overhaul.

Getting rid of the Palmer package last year was an accomplishment. It's a 28-year-old news package now. (One station cluster is using it...one and then it's gone when they replace it.)

Sounds like everyone knows that WPTY is in for a much-needed overhaul.

Getting rid of the Palmer package last year was an accomplishment. It's a 28-year-old news package now. (One station cluster is using it...one and then it's gone when they replace it.)

I don't even know where to begin in my response to this post. I can't believe that you're taking a thread about a person that died tragically and tried to turn it into a discussion of station presentation. The news music would not have saved this person's life, and I'm fairly certain that any of his family would be disgusted if they would come across this forum post to find the fact that people are finding a piece of music more important than a human life. You disgust me, Raymie. Simple as that.

I don't even know where to begin in my response to this post. I can't believe that you're taking a thread about a person that died tragically and tried to turn it into a discussion of station presentation. The news music would not have saved this person's life, and I'm fairly certain that any of his family would be disgusted if they would come across this forum post to find the fact that people are finding a piece of music more important than a human life. You disgust me, Raymie. Simple as that.

+1

Archived