Here's a surprise: WWL-TV Gets New Set

mightynine

Who designed this new set, and how long was the old one used?

Their main set has been in use for over 20(!) years, with constant refreshes.

80s:

KVwfC.jpg

early 90s:

cQgL5.jpg

late 90s / early 00s:

posIi.jpg

7jTiv.jpg

through 2008:

ZIr5H.jpg

mostly current (a new city skyline backdrop and TVs were added eventually):

gvrUt.jpg

Interesting that they put in a news ticker as part of the set. Haven't seen that done in a while.

The ticker is only used during the morning newscasts and the weather and sports segment of the other newscasts.

EDIT: I see that big ass ticker as part of the set.

How big is their studio exactly, because they either have a lot crammed into a tiny little space, or just a big studio period because it looks like they have two different "main" sets.

I don't really like that huge pod though next to the weather center pod with the quad-monitor array behind it. It seems too bright and bland to me and like it could've been weather center space.

It's a large two-story building - formerly a 7-Up bottling company. For much of the station's history, all newscasts and variety shows were done upstairs while the offices and reporter/anchor desks and weather office were downstairs.

It's a large two-story building - formerly a 7-Up bottling company. For much of the station's history, all newscasts and variety shows were done upstairs while the offices and reporter/anchor desks and weather office were downstairs.

And for the last few years, the main news studio with all the refreshes that mightynine posted was upstairs, while the honking big studio on ground level (with the kitchen and the performance area) was for the morning news. I am guessing that the new set is in the former morning studio (goodbye kitchen).

That'd explain why there was no news of channel 4 broadcasting from temporary surroundings. They were in the old studio til the very end. (Which is how tv stations used to do it, Get Off My Lawn ;) )

So, judging by those two panoramic pictures and the 360 view on the website, the new set takes up the entirety of the studio space downstairs with TWO anchor desks instead of one.

Saying that I am impressed by this is a huge understatement.

Their main set has been in use for over 20(!) years, with constant refreshes.

80s:

KVwfC.jpg

early 90s:

cQgL5.jpg

late 90s / early 00s:

posIi.jpg

7jTiv.jpg

through 2008:

ZIr5H.jpg

mostly current (a new city skyline backdrop and TVs were added eventually):

gvrUt.jpg

So, basically, the old set had the same treatment as the station's logo, because WWL-TV has used the same logo since the '80s, with periodic refreshes.

And for the last few years, the main news studio with all the refreshes that mightynine posted was upstairs, while the honking big studio on ground level (with the kitchen and the performance area) was for the morning news. I am guessing that the new set is in the former morning studio (goodbye kitchen).

Via Facebook: we'll be using the old set for the 8 to 9 a.m. hour.

Translation: the morning show set is still there.

Archived