• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

jerseyfla

jerseyfla

Investigative Reporter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDayton, OH
How the heck is the FCC going to allow Sinclair to own WPMI/WJTC in Mobile and WEAR/WFGX in Pensacola? Separate the market?!! I'm sure they are going to bhave to sell or trade off one of the existing duopolies.
The Spirit of Tampa Bay!

tyrannical bastard

tyrannical bastard

Assistant Bars and Tone engineer

• Members
  • 850 posts

How the heck is the FCC going to allow Sinclair to own WPMI/WJTC in Mobile and WEAR/WFGX in Pensacola? Separate the market?!! I'm sure they are going to bhave to sell or trade off one of the existing duopolies.

I think the same can be said for the stations Mission Broadcasting....aka Nexstar is trying to acquire in Little Rock.
If Nexstar and Sinclair had any dignity left in them, they should swap these clusters so that Sinclair runs a cluster in Little Rock and Nexstar gets a cluster in Mobile/Pensacola.
What we're about to have here is one company owning two of the top four stations....and two more stations in each market.
Say what they will about ownership and who's actually going to "own" them....both of these companies have been skirting the laws for years and are taking the game to the next level....at the expense of these cities who will likely lose a voice in the media marketplace.

NRG9

NRG9

Newsroom Intern

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMidsouth
With WPTY/WLMT going to Nexstar, that means Nexstar will own a TV station covering the whole state of Arkansas (minus Jonesboro). With NBC/FOX stations KARK (& (hopefully not) soon to be KLRT) in Little Rock, KNWA/KFTA in Fort Smith/ Fayetteville, KTVE/KARD in El Dorado/ Monroe, LA, and KTAL in Texarkana/Shreveport, LA. I really hope that Nexstar does not drop WPTY's midday and put Arkansas Today in its place... that would not sit well in the Mid-South. I agree with others maybe WPTY/WLMT will finally get some money invested in to them, with new set, music, graphics and maybe true HD! Time will tell......

As for WPMI and WEAR.... If Sinclair were to get rid of one of the pairs I am sure Raycom would love to scoop them up. They own a station in every market in Alabama except for Mobile it would make the Alabama News Network Complete.

I just hope the FCC really takes a look at this whole deal.... I hate to see stations merged and people loose their jobs. Heck WPMI/KLRT/WOAI basically just got brand new HD sets..... what a waste if they closed up shop and get merged.....

tmanokc

tmanokc

News Director

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

I think the same can be said for the stations Mission Broadcasting....aka Nexstar is trying to acquire in Little Rock.
If Nexstar and Sinclair had any dignity left in them, they should swap these clusters so that Sinclair runs a cluster in Little Rock and Nexstar gets a cluster in Mobile/Pensacola.
What we're about to have here is one company owning two of the top four stations....and two more stations in each market.
Say what they will about ownership and who's actually going to "own" them....both of these companies have been skirting the laws for years and are taking the game to the next level....at the expense of these cities who will likely lose a voice in the media marketplace.

The reason why Nexstar and Sinclair can operate Mission and Cunningham they way they do is because the FCC's rules on local marketing/shared servies/joint sales agreements are too vague, they don't account for companies that one group's shareholders have control over or at least have stock in, they just see the fact that they're operated in a different area and named separately as considering them different companies, even though they may operate these agreements in so many areas that it should raise red flags. But any layman can see it for the way that Sinclair and Nexstar operate their SSA partner companies really is, an abuse of a loophole that needs to be rectified.

I just hope the FCC really takes a look at this whole deal.... I hate to see stations merged and people loose their jobs. Heck WPMI/KLRT/WOAI basically just got brand new HD sets..... what a waste if they closed up shop and get merged.....

I think that if the FCC did approve the Nexstar sale deal, WOAI's news department might be safe (as I said KABB's would be ghost), WPMI's news department is a so so situation (unless they do something along the lines of Nexstar's Eyewitness News operations in Evansville and Scranton), KLRT's news department is what should really be worried about. Interestingly, Newport didn't expand KLRT's news department staff-wise as they still just have 5, 9 and 10 p.m. newscasts (but none in the morning or at noon). If Mission gets its hands on it, KLRT would most likely be reduced to a KARK-produced 9 p.m. newscast (doubtful that a 5:30 newscast would be kept). It would also be complicated for what you might as well consider one station group handling the acquisition of syndicated programming for four stations in the same city. However as far as running the programming goes, they might try and pull off some sort of master control hub at the KARK studios.

Viper550

Viper550

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 385 posts
Well, we might get one good thing out of this deal; Nexstar will get control of Inergize Digital Media. Who knows, maybe Nexstar might migrate their god-awful websites to it and make them good and/or tolerable for once.

But let me see, let's play "Guess The Nexstar URL"!

MyUtah?
MemphisOnline?
SyracuseHomepage?
WeAreWatertown?

Chaircolt of the Equestrian Communications Commission

nbc4ne

nbc4ne

Reporter

• Members
  • 70 posts
Uh oh, with Sinclair buying NBC affiliate WOAI, NBC might have to move to either KSAT 12 or KENS 5 b/c NBC isn't liked buying Sinclair. Well, let's see what happens.
John Henning 1937-2010

tw-804

tw-804

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Locationnear Richmond, VA

Uh oh, with Sinclair buying NBC affiliate WOAI, NBC might have to move to either KSAT 12 or KENS 5 b/c NBC isn't liked buying Sinclair.

Sinclair owns a NBC station: WTWC-Channel 40 in Tallahassee.
"You're watching CBS 6 News. Winner of the Emmy Award for Overall Station Excellence." - John Young, VO (from 2011 open)

stevieboy247

stevieboy247

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationMyerstown, Pennsylvania (Originally from Los Angeles, California)

WHP to Sincrap ... Ugh. Hello bland black and white colored L3's ... oh man.

I think it's a damn travesty. Since Nexstar owns WLYH through an LMA, they should've bought WHP and full control of WLYH, not Sinturd. :mad:

Marvin Dillweed

Marvin Dillweed

Reporter

• Members
  • 64 posts

The reason why Nexstar and Sinclair can operate Mission and Cunningham they way they do is because the FCC's rules on local marketing/shared servies/joint sales agreements are too vague, they don't account for companies that one group's shareholders have control over or at least have stock in, they just see the fact that they're operated in a different area and named separately as considering them different companies, even though they may operate these agreements in so many areas that it should raise red flags. But any layman can see it for the way that Sinclair and Nexstar operate their SSA partner companies really is, an abuse of a loophole that needs to be rectified.

I think that if the FCC did approve the Nexstar sale deal, WOAI's news department might be safe (as I said KABB's would be ghost), WPMI's news department is a so so situation (unless they do something along the lines of Nexstar's Eyewitness News operations in Evansville and Scranton), KLRT's news department is what should really be worried about. Interestingly, Newport didn't expand KLRT's news department staff-wise as they still just have 5, 9 and 10 p.m. newscasts (but none in the morning or at noon). If Mission gets its hands on it, KLRT would most likely be reduced to a KARK-produced 9 p.m. newscast (doubtful that a 5:30 newscast would be kept). It would also be complicated for what you might as well consider one station group handling the acquisition of syndicated programming for four stations in the same city. However as far as running the programming goes, they might try and pull off some sort of master control hub at the KARK studios.

KARK is actually already a master control hub for a number of Nexstar/Mission stations, including KNWA, KFTA, KTAL, and KBTV.

TennTV1983

TennTV1983

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 809 posts

I really hope that Nexstar does not drop WPTY's midday and put Arkansas Today in its place... that would not sit well in the Mid-South.

The biggest question to ask is would Nexstar decide to start a newscast solely focused on West Tennessee? Not sure how that would work even though WJKT simulcasts the news from WLMT at 9PM.

As for WPMI and WEAR.... If Sinclair were to get rid of one of the pairs I am sure Raycom would love to scoop them up. They own a station in every market in Alabama except for Mobile it would make the Alabama News Network Complete.

In all honesty, I thought Raycom would've been one of the potential buyers of Newport's assets. It is what it is.
"Eight hundred five years? That means that if I live to be eighty, I got to die and come back ten more times." - Former Birmingham, AL Mayor Larry Langford

TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 963 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX
This is bad, bad, bad; this is sad, sad, sad. Any owned tv station but Sinclair. Anybody?!

With Coverage You Can Count On, In The Spirit of Texas. This is 6 Eyewitness News Nightbeat at Ten.

stevieboy247

stevieboy247

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationMyerstown, Pennsylvania (Originally from Los Angeles, California)
Sinclair can go to hell for all I care. I hope they go bankrupt and get bought out by a much better broadcaster.

mre29

mre29

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 436 posts
Looks like Cox getting a handful of stations is the only real good news, at least as far as people here on TVNT are concerned. Too bad Cox also got the smallest number of stations.

I wonder if Cox was only involved so that Sinclair and Nexstar don't run afoul of the FCC with this deal.

Finally, I've seen a montage of WSYR's graphics, and I really hope the station's not forced to drop them for whatever standarized graphics Nexstar uses. The current graphics are too good to lose.

TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 963 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Cox Media Group has announced that it is selling four of the stations it currently owns and buying four stations from Newport Television.

The stations being sold are KFOX in El Paso, WJAC in Johnstown, PA, KRXI in Reno and WTOV in Stubenville, OH.

The stations Cox is buying from Newport Television are WAWS and WTEV in Jacksonville and KOKI and KMYT in Tulsa.

With Coverage You Can Count On, In The Spirit of Texas. This is 6 Eyewitness News Nightbeat at Ten.

mre29

mre29

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 436 posts
Huh. So Cox is effectively trading up to larger markets...?

caliwxdude

caliwxdude

Primary Anchor

• Forum Contributor
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

I wonder if Cox was only involved so that Sinclair and Nexstar don't run afoul of the FCC with this deal.

My hypothesis is that Cox bought in Jacksonville and Tulsa because of the sizable radio clusters they already operate in both markets. The sale gets a little confusing at least in Tulsa, where KOKI/KMYT are in the same building as the Tulsa Clear Channel radio cluster (owned outright by Clear Channel) and the Cox radio stations are on the other side of town. I'd assume Clear Channel is OK with leasing out the TV side of the facility to Cox, but it's hard to shake the feeling that they'd like everything under the same roof-–or at least not sharing a roof with their biggest competitor in the market.

Anyway, it's good to see Cox expanding into TV in Tulsa, and good for the people working at KOKI. Jacksonville and Tulsa both lucked out in this transaction; Little Rock definitely got the short end of the stick.

tmanokc

tmanokc

News Director

• Members
  • 588 posts

My hypothesis is that Cox bought in Jacksonville and Tulsa because of the sizable radio clusters they already operate in both markets. The sale gets a little confusing at least in Tulsa, where KOKI/KMYT are in the same building as the Tulsa Clear Channel radio cluster (owned outright by Clear Channel) and the Cox radio stations are on the other side of town. I'd assume Clear Channel is OK with leasing out the TV side of the facility to Cox, but it's hard to shake the feeling that they'd like everything under the same roof-–or at least not sharing a roof with their biggest competitor in the market.

Anyway, it's good to see Cox expanding into TV in Tulsa, and good for the people working at KOKI. Jacksonville and Tulsa both lucked out in this transaction; Little Rock definitely got the short end of the stick.

Maybe Cox and Clear Channel can work out a deal to trade facilities for their Tulsa radio outlets, so the Cox radio cluster moves into the facility where CC's stations currently reside with KOKI and KMYT, and vice versa, assuming that the Cox stations are also based in one facility at present. Also, Cox Enterprises is expanding further into TV in Tulsa since Cox Communications has a cable system there, it's just its Cox Media subsidiary that is expanding into TV in the market.

tmanokc

tmanokc

News Director

• Members
  • 588 posts
Now the fact that Cox is selling WTOV and WJAC, haven't those two stations pooled news coverage with WPXI since they're all located in adjacent markets, like during the Jerry Sandusky molestation investigation and trial?

13WHAMfan

13WHAMfan

Reporter

• Members
  • 46 posts
WHAM is the best performing station in the Rochester market. It has quite a few long-time anchors and reporters, so I'm interested to see who purchases WHAM and to see what they do in regards to staffing. WHAM went HD nearly 2 years ago and has the best and most polished on-air product of anyone in town. No one else in town is HD, or even in "enhanced widescreen." Although I've heard from a few people that WHEC, which is FINALLY changing from tape-to-tape editing (is it really 2012?) to non-linear, may be purchasing HD cameras, and will be starting their process of going HD soon (the new ND has been making some big, positive changes). WROC, which is owned by Nextar, has come up in the past few years in ratings and quality, but it still doesn't match up to WHAM, but does give WHEC some competition.

I just hope that Sinclair doesn't find a way to purchase WHAM because I'm almost certain that any bad owner like that could ruin a station which has been a ratings leader for a longgggg time. Although their graphics are less than desirable and they usually focus on NBC affiliates, it might be a good move for Gannett (which originates from Rochester itself). The Democrat and Chronicle is in Rochester and they could partner up, almost like KPNX does with the Arizona Republic, although I could see some problems with regulation. I have doubts that this would happen though, as Gannett owns WGRZ in Buffalo, which is just a hop, skip and a jump away.

In any case though, hopefully whichever owner takes it over doesn't run it into the ground.

bhratbrat

bhratbrat

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 494 posts
For Jacksonville and Tulsa this transaction will be a very big move for both of the markets involved.

I just would have liked to see WOAI also purchased into COX considering that it is a heritage station for San Antonio. Maybe Clear Channel goes back into broadcasting just to buy WOAI (not going to happen but oh well)
"Every Now and then a pirate will beat a soldier." Mike Leach after the win over Texas A&M in 2006.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users