Sinclair websites getting new look

Viper550

(formerly "Former Four Points stations sites get new look (and Freedom too, it seems)")

Well ... three of them at least

http://weareaustin.com/

For WLWC and WTVX, they got the (rather nice) generic template Sinclair's other CW affiliates get, and killed off their Nexstar-style sites. But for KEYE, they kept the Nexstar-era address, but holy smokes. Really Sinclair? You made a station website look good for once?

Edit: This redesign has also been adopted by the Freedom Communications acquisitions as well, and it looks like this will be the new Sinclair site design once everything is worked out, given that WGME (already owned by Sinclair) has also begun using it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Connect2Utah.com got the changes too.

I still cannot believe I'm seeing a good looking site on a Sinclair station. This is out of character.

That is unless Sinclair is up to something they're trying to implement across the board all of us are unaware of. That would be a bigger shocker.

That is unless Sinclair is up to something they're trying to implement across the board all of us are unaware of. That would be a bigger shocker.

GASP. SINCLAIR ACTUALLY INVESTING IN THEIR STATIONS?

I thought you all stereotyped them as a "set it and forget it" broadcasting company.

That's what I'm afraid of. And I hate to say it, but prepare for the worse. Anything happens to KEYE 42 and KUTV 2... I'll protest.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but how come the new site designs used by the former Freedom Communications and Four Points Media stations haven't spread to the stations already owned/managed by Sinclair before those purchases were announced? The design used by the ex-Four Points/Freedom stations are actually better looking than what the other Sinclair stations use now, and a lot of the stations using the older design (like KOKH where I'm from) don't update/add news headlines as often as they should, I'm not sure if this is the case with the new design.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Still too much going on. I actually don't know what I'm supposed to be focusing on with these sites. This is one case where responsive design works against the site design - since it's fluid beyond a certain point it seems like everything is spread too wide across the screen.

Also don't forget the commentary "Behind the Headlines" with Mark Hyman and most of the Sinclair stations doing these Town Hall meetings about certain topics such as gun control, immigration, mental health, etc.

True. They're basically the local equivalent of Fox News.

Heck, even the Fox O&O's aren't this openly partisan.

One of the main reasons I haven't been a fan of Sinclair from the beginning.

Same here and thank God I do not live in a Sinclair market, but yet I live hours from the 3 markets that are a Sinclair market (Asheville and GSP, Raleigh, and The Triad) and also some of the Sinclair stations that actually grabbed my attention.

Same here and thank God I do not live in a Sinclair market, but yet I live hours from the 3 markets that are a Sinclair market (Asheville and GSP, Raleigh, and The Triad) and also some of the Sinclair stations that actually grabbed my attention.

I live in St. Louis where they own KDNL our ABC affiliate. It used to have a news department back in the 1990's but they closed their news department in 2001 due to bad ratings against KMOV, KSDK and KTVI. To be honest, they never really tried either. But now our ABC station is run the same way Sinclair runs CW and My Network TV affilates, although now they air a recorded newscast at 6 and 10 PM weekdays.

But even with the closed news department, we still got to watch The Point (A conservative oped), we still got to watch a documentary hitpiece on John Kerry back in 2004, and we still had Nightline preempted when they listed all the names of the people who lost their lives in Iraq because Sinclair execs thought it would be too offensive to air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group#Controversies

The cynic in me thinks that Sinclair is buying all of these stations just to have outlets to air their political programming.

Yeah, Sinclair is a total shill for the right wing, and have even donated to GOP causes in the past.

I live in St. Louis where they own KDNL our ABC affiliate. It used to have a news department back in the 1990's but they closed their news department in 2001 due to bad ratings against KMOV, KSDK and KTVI. To be honest, they never really tried either. But now our ABC station is run the same way Sinclair runs CW and My Network TV affilates, although now they air a recorded newscast at 6 and 10 PM weekdays.

But even with the closed news department, we still got to watch The Point (A conservative oped), we still got to watch a documentary hitpiece on John Kerry back in 2004, and we still had Nightline preempted when they listed all the names of the people who lost their lives in Iraq because Sinclair execs thought it would be too offensive to air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group#Controversies

The cynic in me thinks that Sinclair is buying all of these stations just to have outlets to air their political programming.

Oh, don't forget what happened in the 2012 general elections and it came to a point when Yolanda Harris told the viewers on Facebook to take their complaints to SBG about their special coverage. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/sinclair-under-fire-for-airing-partisan-special-on-stations-in-battleground-states-on-election-eve_b68439

• 2 months later...

Some action with their more recent acquisitions....

For the former Four Points (Nexstar) stations....

KEYE-TV in Austin and KUTV in Salt Lake City have done away with the Nexstar-esque names WeAreAustin.com & Connect2Utah.com (by redirecting to keyetv.com and kutv.com respectively)... both still have the 2012 version of their webpage that most of the Freedom acquisitions received.

In more former Nexstar stations now controlled by Sinclair news....

KBTV has also done away with their Nexstar-esque layout and name (SETXhomepage.com) and now has the latest and greatest version of Sinclair's web site format as Fox4Beaumont.com.

Sister station KFDM is still in the format of KEYE and other Freedom-Four Points era Sinclair sites.

Could the Inergize sites be next from the Newport acquisition?

Sinclair has all that capitol buying stations left and right. They can shell out some cheddar & butter to have all 140 stations of their stations have a unified website design. Should Inergize come about, they better have a different design that won't mimic Nexstar's new website layout, which will be implemented on all their stations later on this year.

At least Sinclair does have each station with a separate website, unlike Nexstar which multiple stations are shared in one site. I would love to see the new webpage for the Little Rock stations since they have the quadopoly there.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is mainly about Sinclair's sites, but please don't tell me Nexstar is following in Sinclair's footsteps by making their stations embed Newsmax headlines on their sites.

http://www.abc4.com/default.aspx

http://www.fox16.com/default.aspx

http://arkansasmatters.com/

(you have to scroll down a little to see them; it's under the "Stay Connected" box on the right side of the page).

It hasn't appeared on their other stations sites yet, so maybe this was a decision made locally. I certainly hope so. KTVX takes it a little further, even using Newsmax articles as the basis of their poll questions...

Archived