• Please log in to reply
2172 replies to this topic

TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Courtesy of UncleBarky.com (Ed Bark) and MikeMcGuff.com (Houston): KTVT CBS 11 announced today that Ken Molestina of Washington DC's WUSA-TV

is joining CBS 11 News as the stations weekend anchor/weekday reporter. Molestina's first day is on January 6, 2014.

With Coverage You Can Count On, In The Spirit of Texas. This is 6 Eyewitness News Nightbeat at Ten.

broadcastfan9751

broadcastfan9751

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 109 posts

CNBC is reporting that Comcast is exploring a bid for Time Warner Cable should TWC choose to sell.

tyrannical bastard

tyrannical bastard

District V.P. of Aspect Ratio Correction

• Members
  • 828 posts

CNBC is reporting that Comcast is exploring a bid for Time Warner Cable should TWC choose to sell.

Good Lord......

If this happens, it would be a boon for satellite and the phone companies. If you hate Time Warner, you'll be begging for them back after Comcast drives them further into the ground!

Mrtraveler01

Mrtraveler01

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Charter is bidding for them too so I imagine it's going to be a very competitive bid if TWC decides to sell.

A3N

A3N

LIVE

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Charter is bidding for them too so I imagine it's going to be a very competitive bid if TWC decides to sell.

I'm sure that Comcast is salivating at the thought of picking up TWC. Comcast is not available in several markets where they own NBC O&O's and at the top of my head, they would at least be covering LA (KNBC) and New York (WNBC). Also, if TWC were to include it's regional networks (sports, news) it will fit in nicely with CSN. CSN Los Angeles/CSN New York anyone? (TWC cable does have a stake in SportsNet New York as does Comcast along with the Mets.)

sanewsguy

sanewsguy

General Manager

• Members
  • 1,403 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Good Lord......

If this happens, it would be a boon for satellite and the phone companies. If you hate Time Warner, you'll be begging for them back after Comcast drives them further into the ground!

You can't get much worse than Time Warner. I hope Comcast buys them.

CircleSeven

CircleSeven

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I'm sure that Comcast is salivating at the thought of picking up TWC. Comcast is not available in several markets where they own NBC O&O's and at the top of my head, they would at least be covering LA (KNBC) and New York (WNBC). Also, if TWC were to include it's regional networks (sports, news) it will fit in nicely with CSN. CSN Los Angeles/CSN New York anyone? (TWC cable does have a stake in SportsNet New York as does Comcast along with the Mets.)

They would really love Comcast to come back to the Metroplex. TWC basically have that state locked, except for Houston, where they use to be.

Hell I wouldn't even mind a compromise in between split of the TWC assets or let Comcast leave some of their coverage areas. Comcast securing the bigger markets (they're already in the Bay Area, Chicago and their flaggy Philly), like the New York/Jersey (to complete the megalopolis strip), Upstate NY, California, Texas Cluster.

If Comcast have to sell some of their clusters, it can give their Atlanta cluster to Cox. It's Cox's home turf. Yeah they own the paper, the radio and Channel 2, but it would make the most sense. And give some of the rest (anything south of DC, the Virginia, Carolina, Tennessee, the Midwest Cluster (except for Ohio, Erie PA & Wisconsin), Colorado, Utah and the Northwest cluster) to Charter. Hopefully that would clear some of the air for any anti-trust issues. But the Texas cluster should be clustered up with Houston. And the NYC/NJ, upstate NY and Maine should be clustered up with the rest of the northeast.  

While it would be wise to buy some and divest some, I doubt Charter and Comcast would even think about doing such of a thing. They want everything in one silver platter. And while Charter is still likely the favorite, and yes Comcast is no better than TWC, I would think Comcast has a way better shot of getting TWC. Not just for the regional cable and broadband standpoints, but what have been said with the NBC O&Os in those areas (NY, LA, San Diego & Dallas; Comcast is already six of those markets; Chicago, Philly, DC, Bay Area, Connecticut, & Miami).

This article have the map of both TWC and Comcast maps and their coverage areas.

TexasTVNews

TexasTVNews

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

WCIA 3 anchor Dave Benton has been off the air the last few days, and the reason why is that he's in the Hospital. Doctors found a tumor in his brain and underwent brain surgery today. We are happy to say that the surgery went well and on his way to a full recovery.

This is a statement from Benton's wife Teri on WICA 3 Facebook:

A message from Dave's wife:
Dave is out of surgery and is in recovery. He read everyone of your messages and really appreciated all of them. 
Thank you so much for your support.

Terri

We at TVNT offer and prayers and well wishes to WCIA 3's Dave Benton and wish him a full and speedy recovery, especially this Holiday season.

With Coverage You Can Count On, In The Spirit of Texas. This is 6 Eyewitness News Nightbeat at Ten.

Raymie

Raymie

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Nightcap, the current and anemic news effort from KDAF in Dallas, is likely on its way out. The replacement? A Dallas version of the NewsFix format already at sister KIAH in Houston.

Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich? A wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you...WISH you had some meat!

sanewsguy

sanewsguy

General Manager

• Members
  • 1,403 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Nightcap, the current and anemic news effort from KDAF in Dallas, is likely on its way out. The replacement? A Dallas version of the NewsFix format already at sister KIAH in Houston.

Considering the crap they have now, this is an improvement...

ShawnieMac

ShawnieMac

Weekend Anchor

• Members
  • 205 posts

They would really love Comcast to come back to the Metroplex. TWC basically have that state locked, except for Houston, where they use to be.

Hell I wouldn't even mind a compromise in between split of the TWC assets or let Comcast leave some of their coverage areas. Comcast securing the bigger markets (they're already in the Bay Area, Chicago and their flaggy Philly), like the New York/Jersey (to complete the megalopolis strip), Upstate NY, California, Texas Cluster.

If Comcast have to sell some of their clusters, it can give their Atlanta cluster to Cox. It's Cox's home turf. Yeah they own the paper, the radio and Channel 2, but it would make the most sense. And give some of the rest (anything south of DC, the Virginia, Carolina, Tennessee, the Midwest Cluster (except for Ohio, Erie PA & Wisconsin), Colorado, Utah and the Northwest cluster) to Charter. Hopefully that would clear some of the air for any anti-trust issues. But the Texas cluster should be clustered up with Houston. And the NYC/NJ, upstate NY and Maine should be clustered up with the rest of the northeast.  

While it would be wise to buy some and divest some, I doubt Charter and Comcast would even think about doing such of a thing. They want everything in one silver platter. And while Charter is still likely the favorite, and yes Comcast is no better than TWC, I would think Comcast has a way better shot of getting TWC. Not just for the regional cable and broadband standpoints, but what have been said with the NBC O&Os in those areas (NY, LA, San Diego & Dallas; Comcast is already six of those markets; Chicago, Philly, DC, Bay Area, Connecticut, & Miami).

This article have the map of both TWC and Comcast maps and their coverage areas.

We used to have Comcast here in Los Angeles, as they covered most of southern and central Los Angeles County.  Previous to the Adelphia acquisition by TWC and Comcast, which resulted in some cluster areas trades (like L.A. and Dallas' Comcast systems for the TWC systems in Houston and the Twin Cities), TWC already had systems spread throughout the rest of the region, dating back to when they acquired Paragon and United Artists Cable back in the 90s/early 00s.

An acquistion of TWC by Charter would give them the entire Los Angeles market, except for those pockets already covered by Cox Cable (the southwestern edge of L.A. County, and southern Orange County).  If a TWC-Charter marriage becomes reality, I wouldn't be surprised if Cox gets out of metro Los Angeles altogether, via trading of system clusters. 

cg41386

cg41386

Newsroom Intern

• Members
  • 80 posts

Read on NewsBlues that WATN's chief met, Paul Williams, had a (non-fatal) heart attack yesterday. The guy he replaced (Mark Walden) died of a heart attack, and that guy replaced another guy (Brian Teigland) who died from a heart attack.

Good lord.

Raymie

Raymie

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

A settlement has been reached in an anchor discrimination case at WGME/Portland. Former longtime anchor Doug Rafferty claimed that after he suffered a stroke, he was discriminated against by being removed from his job and getting his pay cut. The settlement was reached on Friday, four months before the case was to head to federal court.

Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich? A wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you...WISH you had some meat!

Nelson R.

Nelson R.

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 317 posts

Read on NewsBlues that WATN's chief met, Paul Williams, had a (non-fatal) heart attack yesterday. The guy he replaced (Mark Walden) died of a heart attack, and that guy replaced another guy (Brian Teigland) who died from a heart attack.

Good lord.

Yikes! 😳😞

MidwestTV

MidwestTV

News Director

• Members
  • 897 posts

Read on NewsBlues that WATN's chief met, Paul Williams, had a (non-fatal) heart attack yesterday. The guy he replaced (Mark Walden) died of a heart attack, and that guy replaced another guy (Brian Teigland) who died from a heart attack.

Good lord.

are heart attacks written into their contract or something as being part of the job to be chief met there or what?

tw-804

tw-804

Primary Anchor

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Locationnear Richmond, VA

Richmond news:

-Sydney Cameron from WRBL (Columbus, GA) and Claudia Rupcich from WSET (Roanoke/Lynchburg) will join WRIC as reporters/videojournalists on December 9.

-Reporter Parker Slaybaugh (also from WSET) joined WRIC just last month.

-Curtis McCloud (from WRBL) joined WWBT last month as reporter.

-Catie Beck (investigative reporter at WTVR) will be joining WXIA in Atlanta next month according to the station's FB page. Sunday was her last day.

"You're watching CBS 6 News. Winner of the Emmy Award for Overall Station Excellence." - John Young, VO (from 2011 open)

trev57

trev57

Sports

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin
Jason Newton is leaving WISN to join WBAL as a morning anchor. According to the Baltimore Sun, he is being groomed to be "the anchorman of the future"...whatever that means.

CircleSeven

CircleSeven

Managing Editor

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

New M&A Tonight!!

Cowles might be limiting their presence in one spot, but it doesn't mean they're not boosting its presence in another.

From the paper work of and APA posted this morning (10/1). Cowles Media will be buying Max Media's Montana Cluster for $18M.

Stations include the ABC Montana cluster in Helena, Great Falls, Butte & Missoula; and Billings NBC station KULR.

And eight weeks after the paperwork was posted, the FCC has greenlighted the Cowles/Max Montana cluster deal.

Stations include KTMF & KFBB.

LoadStar

LoadStar

AM Anchor

• Members
  • 360 posts

You can't get much worse than Time Warner. I hope Comcast buys them.

Wow. I so disagree. About the only thing I don't like about Time Warner are their boxes, which are easily avoidable by buying a TiVo. Otherwise, I think they're a great cable company. From what I've heard, *anyone* else would be worse (not including Verizon FiOS, of course).

d247

d247

Reporter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Two reporters are out at KJRH. Investigative Reporters Pete Knutson and Michele Lowry are leaving the Scripps-owned Tulsa station. Knutson has been with the station for 16 years, and Lowry for 10 years.

d247// From Market #60

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users